Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 26, 2004, 8:50 PM   #1

I own a Sony DSC-P92 and I use it to take (supposedly) good quality photos of my artwork.

Most of this artwork is taken indoors, where light conditions aren't always optimal. My pictures always seem to turn out darker (when printed) than how it looks on the view screen. It's very frustrating.

I've tried setting the flash to high, turning on all lightsin the room, etc. By the way these are small rooms so the flash should work just fine. It's not like I'm in an auditorium or anything.

What the heck am I doing wrong????

Under "menu" it has something called "EV"...something about exposure. Should I mess with that?

Please...anyone?:?
mypalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2004, 9:31 PM   #2
Administrator

Well, your thread title got my attention. :-)

First of all, you can't go by the way a photo looks on the camera's LCD. As a general rule, with most models, the photos on the camera's display will look a little brighter than they really are.

To get a better feel for exposure, you need to look at them on your PC's monitor.

I have notused the Sony DSC-P92, but I did own the DSC-P10 briefly (similiar model, but a tiny bit smaller). So, I am familiar with a few of it's quirks (if the P92 is the same way).

Before I go into any "long winded" speeches about the Sony's metering, etc., is there a way you can upload an unmodified photo to a web site (so we can look at the image headers to see the settings used)?

If you don't have a place to upload one, you can open a free 30 day trial account at http://www.pbase.com

They allow 10mb of space for a trial account, so that's plenty to upload a couple of sample photos. That way, we can see EXIF information about the image (it's embedded into the .jpg file). Make sure that it has not been modified in any way. Some image editors strip out this information from the image header.

BTW, the Sony's flash range may not be as good as you think, either. It's got a maximum range of 12.4 feet at full wide angle. However, when you use zoom, this range drops down some (to a maximum of 8.2 feet at full zoom). Also, this in an Auto ISO rating. So, if you changed the ISO speed to a lower value (i.e., 100), then flash range will lower.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 10:18 PM   #3

mypalette wrote:
Quote:
... photos of my artwork.
Does your artwork have a dominant light/white background? When your camera sets the exposure, it assumes that the subject is on average about 18% gray. So if you shot a pure white sheet of paper, it would be rendered as 18% gray - underexposed in other words.

Post a copy of your image that has been downsized and compressed - have a bit of pitty for the folks on dial-up connections.

BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 11:28 PM   #4
Administrator

You're probably right Bill. I guess I forget that everyone doesn't have a cable modem. Although, the service gets so darn "bogged down" here, that I think dial-up is faster at times. My provider doesn't seem to manage bandwidth very well.

I was just concerned about being able to see the EXIF, for anything obviously wrong (and to see the images tosee if there is a reason for his problem based onsubject type/conditions).

I wasn't going to get into any "long winded" speeches, but the P10 I owned briefly had some metering "quirks" indoors.I ended up needing to use Spot Metering with it more than most cameras I've used.

Since the P92 is almost the same camera, I suspect that the meteringmay be playing a role here, too(the P10 has a few more features, is a little smaller, and uses Lithium Ion instead of AA's -- but I suspect that some of the same "quirks" exist in both).

Focus pointplays a big role, too (flash strength is probably tied into focus distance). So, you have to be careful about making sure the camera is actually focusing on your subject (since it's using a 3-point focus system).

Old Jul 27, 2004, 1:31 AM   #5

As Jim stated, viewing your pics on your camera LCD screen is not a good indication of how it will look printed.

Also, is your monitor calibrated? This is a big step to getting your pics to look the same on your monitor as well as when printed on your printer. The pics may look great on your screen, but then they print darker or lighter, etc... There are devices that can assist you in creating monitor and printer profiles to match each other. I think this may be one of the first steps you should look at to try and get your on-screen images to match your printed photos.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:37 PM   #6

Hey guys...thanks so much for replying. Here are the requested photos:

http://www.patricias-palette.com/test.html

I'll upload a smaller pic too. :-)

By the way, yes my monitor is fine...when I upload the photos I can see how dark they are. That doesn't help me when I'm onsite with no comp. I only have one chance to get the photos right.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:45 PM   #7

wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too dark. This is in full sun, lights on, and flash.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:47 PM   #8
Administrator

The first photo http://www.patricias-palette.com/DSC00241.JPGwill not load (it's not viewable - just a red x). Do we have access rights to it?

Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:59 PM   #9

hang on
Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:23 PM   #10

ok, should work now. :?

http://www.patricias-palette.com/test.html