Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 23, 2002, 3:15 PM   #1

Default Need a good high speed camera. Help!

Hello,

I am looking to find a good camera for taking pictures of Motorcycles screaming by between speeds of 60-100 mph. My current crappy digital camera (Toshiba PDR) wont do it without being fuzzy, i think it has to do with shutter speed. I am wondering what people's opinions are as far as what camera is best for taking shots of fast moving objects. Also, good night shots would be a plus too. I am a total beginner, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave
madbustedplastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2002, 4:10 PM   #2

A different camera won't help unless a larger max aperture or higher ISO result in higher shutter speeds under the same lighting conditions.

Technique can matter as much as the camera. Try panning along with the moving motorcycles. With a little practice you'll get a sharp motocycles and blurred background which accentuates the perception of motion.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 4:27 PM   #3

Default Blurry Pics

I agree with Steve. Panning with the action flow can produce some great shots. It takes a little practice but the technique is easy.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 4:27 PM   #4

Something to consider, are the shots motion blurred or focus blurred? Can you post an example of what you're trying to fix?
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 4:43 PM   #5

here is an example of what im trying to achieve, this was a once in a lifetime shot with my camera (toshiba pdrm61). the problem is i focus on the bike, but it takes so long to focus and once i hit the button to take the shot, the camera seems to pause before it takes the picture. plus the stupid thing takes terribly bright pics in the broad daylight. im wondering if i got to the minolta dimage7i or like a sony f717 if this thing is going to take pics and focus faster....
Old Sep 23, 2002, 4:45 PM   #6

oh also, go to my site http://www.bustedplastic.com and go to ride pics section, more examples of the crap i put up with of this camera. plus the battery life is just plain poor.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 4:52 PM   #7

sorry here is when trying to focus on the back ground and snapping it as the bike comes into view. the pics also turn out like this when i try follow the bike and focus on it. My camera just seems to lag when i hit the shoot button. with a regular film camera (maxxum 5) i can track and it will stay focused, and i hit the shoot button and its perfect (usually)

[Edited on 9-23-2002 by madbustedplastic]
Old Sep 23, 2002, 4:53 PM   #8

sorry for the millions of posts, didnt see the edit button right away but couldnt edit to attach the picture...sorry
Old Sep 23, 2002, 5:14 PM   #9

Default Blurred pics

I will speak only for the Olympus camera because that is what I use. On my Olympus cameras, I can depress the shutter button halfway to lock the focus and then track the moving object, click the picture and produce great results. I am sure that the same thing can be done with many of the digital cameras on the market today.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2002, 12:44 AM   #10

The Camera with the highest burst rate of 15fps and shutter speed pf 1/15000 of a sec is the Olympus E-100RS professional,
I guess this is one of the best prosumer camera for high speed photography.

[Edited on 24-9-2002 by ajitkataria]
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote