Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 24, 2002, 2:33 AM   #1

Default Fuji Finepix 2600Z or Olympus D-510Z?

Sorry to add another X vs Y post but any help will be useful before I blow my $$$.

They both have only one real downfall each:
The Fuji does not handle low light well;
The Olympus takes slightly soft pictures.

Additionally the Olympus has quite a few extra features, and I could possibly need to take low-light photos of our band playing (occasionally). Would this justify softer photos - maybe they can be touched up with software?

At the the moment I am swaying more toward the Fuji as it constantly gets highly recommended. Should I forsake the low light shots for better pictures.

Thanks,

Steve.
MyC sPiTTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2002, 7:24 AM   #2

Default Which Camera

I owned the D490 and was quite pleased with. I thought it took great pics. I am not sure what you mean soft photos. My pics were sharp, crisp and great colors. I am an Olympus fan and have owned the 340L, 490Z, C4040Z and C3000Z. Still have the last two cameras.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2002, 11:34 AM   #3

I've had the pleasure of taking lots of photos with the 2600Zoom, which I think is a great beginnercamera. I would hesitate to recommend it. As for the "low light handling" I think it does alright. Currently I think there is no camera in that pricelevel which handle lowlight great. I would go for the 2600Z!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2002, 4:54 PM   #4

By soft photos I mean they are slightly blurry in the details. This is info I am getting from the photo comparisons at imaging-resource.com. The review there suspects it is due to "under-aggressive in-camera sharpening".

Sure enough, if I download some D-510 pics and use software to sharpen them, they look a lot more like the Fuji 2600 pics. And the Fuji pics do look more grainy straight from the camera. However the Fuji also seems to have better colour in the pics.

Sigh - so many options to weigh up. Cheers for the help.
MyC sPiTTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2002, 5:42 PM   #5

Default Which Camera

Olympus annouced the release of their new 5050, 5 megapixel camera. If you can wait two to three weeks you might be able to purchase refurb camera for the price of the cameras you are researching now. Olympus refurbs can be purchased from them at this web site: https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...ub_category=22
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2002, 1:32 PM   #6

I have had the D510 for 7 mos. and am quite happywith it. It takes sharp pictures for me. They do need some sharpening in photoshop, but it seems most digital images do. I am not that happy with low light images, though. I bought it for this feature, the iso 400 option. The images are quite grainy with lots of electrical noise. I'm not sure you'll like them much either. I went to neatimage.com and got their software to get rid of noise and that worked for me. Jeff
jmcdev1 is offline   Reply With Quote