Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 2, 2004, 11:46 AM   #11

It will definitely distort the picture, but it might not do it enough that anyone notices. It's the risk you take, but you'll often find that it works out in the end.

For the longest time I didn't do it for that exact reason (distortion) but I'm starting to try it now to see because the problems it can cause for others when trying to frame it is enough that I want to try to improve this.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 9:39 AM   #12

CastleDude wrote:
Quote:
BTW this is a feature not a bug:roll:. It is made that way to more closely emulate 35mm film which is the group they are aiming at. The digicams are made (primarily) to match the ratio for TV (4:3) which is the monitor ratio (looks better on web pages).
Actually pictures can be any aspect ratio on a web page. What 4:3 does is fill the entire screen when viewing them in the computer monitor as opposed to 2:3 which leaves black borders at the top and bottom of the screen.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 1:11 PM   #13

I went to a print shop yesterday to ask them how they handle this situation of cropping to print 8x10. And not to my surprise they said the exact same thing as many of you. You can't do it with out cropping, resizing or using borders. I got some great ideas on how to use borders and frames. Sometimes depending on the picture I will resize to 8X10 inches in photoshop to fill the page, other times I wll crop with an measured 8x10 crop tool. Both work well, however resizing slightly changes the picture sometimes for the better. I have not had a chance to do it yet, but I will be more aware of this issue when taking pictures. I think leaving a little space to the left edge, or bottom when camer is vertical is a good idea.

Thanks
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 1:25 PM   #14

Not taking this on you personally, just curious whether this is a common subject in forums like this dedicated to film photography. Nothing has changed in this sense since 35 mm film also has the same situation - will only fit 4x6 without cropping, all other sizes not 2:3 will require cropping. Perhaps it is just because I became more interested in photograpy the day I got my digital camera.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 1:36 PM   #15

just curious whether this is a common subject in forums like this dedicated to film photography

:roll:Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think this forum is dedicated to film photography. I have found tons of information on digital equipment and techniques on this site. I started my business using digital and can't remember the last time I shot film. When I did shoot film I had no idea of went on behind the seens at the photo developement places. I also always just got the default 5x7 prints and never had anything developed at 8x10. I now know they have to crop and I feel like I have a lotmore control over my photos that having a processing lab try to figure out what part of the picture is important to me.

I know there are many debates film vs Digital but the choice for mewas made a long time ago. Itake thousands of shots with my Digital Rebel and simply could not afford to do this with film even if I where developing myself.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 4:29 PM   #16

For a few of your pix you can use Photoshop (I have 6.0) to "place" the pix onto a 8 x 10 canvas, marquee a strip of the picture on both the left and right size in portrait, and finally scale & skew transform the selected area to the edge of the canvas. Here's an example
ltdedorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 4:38 PM   #17

Hey thats pretty darn good... This is probably the best method I have see yet. I like the fact that the original art work has not been modified. The added on edges seem to blend in realy well, how did you match the light and the wood grain? Did you add the trimmed strips to both sides or just the left? It really frames the art better and makes it stand out well, you have a good eye.

This will only work on some of my shots, but is is a real nice trick to add to my arsenal.

Thanks
Old Aug 3, 2004, 10:51 PM   #18

I think I'm perplexed that you bought a DSLR and had no idea about image cropping or aspect ratio.

It's decades old.

As mentoned, your best option is to leave a little extra on the frame portion of the photos for any cropping, because once you crop it, you'll be back at the desired zoom again It takes a few shots to get over that (cause in your head you're like "thus sucks, it's not close enough") but with 6 megapixels, you've got plenty of space to crop an 8x10 before you even think about losing quality.

For this reason I print a large number of 8x12's because I prefer the width of a 3:2 aspect (3:4 is dumb)

Just sucks finding a nice variety of frames

bennyunknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 11:19 PM   #19

Just to set the story straight, I baught a digital camera because most of the photos I shoot are for E-commerce. I am a web designer. My Sony F707 did not have this problem at 5 megapixels its difault aspect ration print 8x10 perfect with no crop. That camera has a setting that allows you to change the aspect ration to 2:3. For 8x10 the Sony is perfect, until you get into camera speed, shutter lag is terible. Before that, I knew nothing about photography at all. That is why I am in the Newbie Help Forum :P.

After all of this I still can't firure out why with a digital camera as fine as the Canon Rebel. They didn't think to add the ability to change the aspect ratio in the camera since this hass been a decade old issue. In any case, I think I have learned enough in this forum to determine that I wasn't just over looking something simple.

Thanks for all of your help...:-)
Old Aug 4, 2004, 8:57 PM   #20

minutephotos.com wrote:
Quote:

After all of this I still can't firure out why with a digital camera as fine as the Canon Rebel. They didn't think to add the ability to change the aspect ratio in the camera since this hass been a decade old issue.
That is because it' uses the standard size of FILM! Not the Point and Shoot 4:3 ratio of computer monitors.

if they were to make the Rebel into a lower grade NON PROFESSIONAL camera and use the 4:3 format, it would lose out on the huge array of Canon Lens. it would have to develop an entirely new line of lens for 1 low grade prosumer camera...not a wise business standpoint.

As such, all Canon SLR cameras follow the 3:2 format, this allows the sharing of the top notch line of Canon Lens, and stays in format with how film has been for many many years.

Why fix something that aint broke right? You'll always encounter a scenario where you'll have to crop with both formats.

Most people dont use DSLR's for e commerse, and if they are, they've got the resourses and such to be cropping photos without a second thought.

bennyunknown is offline   Reply With Quote