Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 1, 2004, 1:52 PM   #1

I am thinking about the canon 10D with a tamron 28 - 300 lense or the Canon 28 - 200 lense . How does the Tamron compair to the canon Lense. Also i am looking at purchasing from Royal Camera on the internet , they seem to have the best price,

How do i know that i am not getting a grey market camera also hasanyone delt with royal camera needadvice Thanks .

Jim
jim47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2004, 2:54 PM   #2
Administrator

jim47 wrote:
Quote:
I am thinking about the canon 10D with a tamron 28 - 300 lense or the Canon 28 - 200 lense . How does the Tamron compair to the canon Lense. Also i am looking at purchasing from Royal Camera on the internet , they seem to have the best price
Royal Camera? :lol:

Check out their ratings here (scroll down, you'll see customer reviews):

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1895.html

and here:

http://www.bizrate.com/ratings_guide...id--31276.html

The usual way the scam artistswork, is to advertise something at a lower price than everyone else. Then, they call you to "confirm" your order.

Then, the sales pitch begins (you'll need a better battery, larger memory card, lens accessories, extended warranty, etc.). Of course, many consumers fall for it, since they only check the price of the camera -- not the accessories.

These items are usually sold at outrageous prices, but appear to be heavily discounted (unrealistic prices are shown for the "list prices" of the accessories.).

Usually, this happens:

* They ship you a gray market camera (one not intended for sale in the U.S.). BTW, you won't get warranty service from most manufacturers on gray market items.

and/or

* They are not really going to sell you the camera at the advertised price, unless you agree to buy lots of overpriced extras (poor quality memory cards, case, poor quality lens accessories, generic batteries that they claim are better, extended warranty, etc.). Watch out for unauthorized shipping and insurance chargest tacked on, too.

Of course, by the time you buy the overpriced, poor quality add-on's, you could have gotten a better deal somewhere else -- from a reputable dealer. Another trick these guys play, is to claim the price is for the camera only (again, forcing you to buy the items that are included with the camera anyway, at drastically inflated prices). Otherwise (if you tell them you don't want the add-ons), most of the "scam artists" will refuse to sell it to you for the quoted price.

Or, your camera will suddenly go to backorder status, or even more common, they simply never ship it to you -- leading you along when you try to find out order status, until you finally cancel the order.

Sometimes, when do cancel, they'll ship a partial order (with high unauthorized shipping and insurance charges tacked on). Then, when you return it, and dispute it with your credit card company, they end up keeping the high shipping charges they added (because credit card companies will often not refund the shippnig charges).

You may also see a combination of the above techniques (gray market camera + trying to scam you with the extras).

These types of techniques are VERY Common.

I'd do yourself a favor -- stick with a reputable dealer -- one that will work with you if you have a problem. Items dohave "out of the box" problems, and you don't want to be stuck with an item that you can't return or get service on.

A good dealer will usually replace a defective model, within a reasonable return period.

Use the customer feedback in the price search engines to "spot" these dealers, and also use http://www.resellerratings.com

Beware of dealers that only have a small number of customer reviews, because some dealers have been known to "pad" their own ratings with glowing reviews. A well established vendor will often have thousands of customer reviews.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 4:50 PM   #3

to jimC

thanks for the info Royal sounds like a real rip off. I gusee you get what you pay for

Thanks again

Jim
jim47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 3:58 AM   #4

Good advice from JimC.

Here in the U.K. there are a number of reputable walk in camera stores that will match the prices of internet retailers. I am sure you must have the same in the USA. All we need to do is find the best price on line, print off the details, price, availability etc and take it to the store that has this policy ! Just the other day i bought a Lexar 40x wa 512mb cf card priced in store at £89.99 ($163.78)and they matched an etailer's price of £64.99 ($118.26)!! (Remember this is the U.K. and prices are always higher) This way, i not only save money but if i have a problem with the card, or whatever i buy, i don't have the hassle of shipping costs back to wherever. I only buy this way, it gives great peace of mind.

Give it a try.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote