Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 1, 2004, 8:04 PM   #1

Can someone please help me understand how to save the photos my digital camera produces.

I download from my digital camera 1600x1200 JPEG files about 800-900 kb .

Should I then make a copy in TIFF format in this size and then reduce the JPEG to about 650 on the long side to make it easier to send and display ?

Should I then be left with two images on my hard drive ?

If I need to adjust the image in photoshop do I adjust the TIFF image and then make a copy of the adjusted image in JPEG and discard the original JPEG?

Any advice in this elementary procedure would be appreciated.

Thank you

Don
almardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2004, 9:45 AM   #2

One simple advice. NEVER EVER modify your original image regardless of format (TIFF, jpg, whatever). Those are your "digital negatives" and if you lose due to a mistake while editing them there is no way to get them back. In fact, the software I used for downloading my pictures is configured to set the image files as "read only" to avoid unintended modifications.

What you do later with the modified version is up to you - your needs and storage space available.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 10:04 AM   #3

Thank you Luisr for clearing up one half of my not understanding.

Now if you or someone can answer the next question please.

OK. I've saved the original and hidden it away. I now have copied it to aa Tiff image 1600x1200 which I have changed the levels of and sharpened. I now want to post this image or send it via e mail, do I now make a third image back again in jpeg and reduced in size to about 650 or whatever on the long side and save this also ? I will then have three saved images.

Thanks in advance for respose.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 10:28 AM   #4
Administrator

Most image editing packages will let you resize a photo. Once resized to the desired image proportions, you can simply use the "Save As" option in most, to go back to JPEG format.

Personally, I use irfanview for both upsizing and downsizing images, using their available Lanczos algorithm. You'll see this option under the Image, Resize/Resample menu. You can download it from http://www.irfanview.com (it's free). Make sure to download the free plug-in's, too. It will let you specify either the long side or the short side of the image for resizing, automatically adjusting the other side to maintain the same aspect ratio as the original image (provided you have this option checked).

Again, your image editor will most likely have the ability to downsize photos, too (I couldn't imagine one that did not). Have you checked the help screens?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 12:06 PM   #5

Thanks, JimC.

I do have the ability to downsize photos, andf I will utilize that function from here on.

I'm sure that doing itis half the battle. It was also knowing what to do.

Thanks again to you JimC and againLuisR for taking the time to explain.

Don
Old Aug 3, 2004, 10:49 PM   #6

About protecting originals... My practice is once downloaded, I imediately zipthepictures filesinto a Subject_date_originals.zip file. The goal is not compress them really, but make them inalterable, easy to check the integrity (of the zip file) and make thing easy to copy on CD.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote