Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 3, 2004, 11:46 AM   #11

Cheers guys!

I must say what food for thought,firstly at the moment I have a Olympus D-490ZOOM but obviously for the transition i was thinking of getting a nikon D70 or simply buying a DSLR.
The kind of photography being discussed is just the kind that I would like to create, not the fast hurried shot but a picture where feeling is most prominent, in the case of portraits I see them as similar because where as with landscapes I want others to feel that they were there and the photo to also give a sense of omnipotence and with the portraits I'm looking to take them in black & white which will bring out a certain depth especially with the photos I have in mind.
I was going to get a tripod in any case for night shots so that's fine. Very good two sites Eric the first one especially.Benny you seem to know just the photos when it comes to landscapes.

Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 11:52 PM   #12

Glad I could help
bennyunknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 12:28 AM   #13

bennyunknown,
While some of those pictures are very well done, and I enjoyed looking at them... but could you please refrain from posting so many in a thread again. If I were on dialup, I would have just not read this thread. It would have taken way to long to load. Please be considerate of the dialup users who come to this form.

You also might care that your web address is (to me) unreadable in that fancy cursive font you used. I'm sure you want people to come to your web site, and I would have... but I can't read it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 1:59 AM   #14

eric s wrote:
Quote:
bennyunknown,
While some of those pictures are very well done, and I enjoyed looking at them... but could you please refrain from posting so many in a thread again. If I were on dialup, I would have just not read this thread. It would have taken way to long to load. Please be considerate of the dialup users who come to this form.

You also might care that your web address is (to me) unreadable in that fancy cursive font you used. I'm sure you want people to come to your web site, and I would have... but I can't read it.

Eric

Sorry, I'm not used to dealing with folks on Dialup, it's non existant here.

As for the font, I'm not concerned about that, those are ancient pics, all my recent ones use the font in which my name is written in. I have recieved a ton of feedback in regards to the phont you cant read, I dont use it anymore

All I was trying to do was help the guy out, what internet connection people use was my last priority.

This is the second thread I've been bitched out about image size...man...USA needs to play catch up. This AOL dialup garbage needs to stop.

LONG LIVE BROADBAND, hahaha
Old Aug 4, 2004, 1:12 PM   #15

Hey, I've got broadband too (I never have and will never get AOL... for a variety of reasons AOL people have had a detrimental effect on the internet.) I didn't really mind it. But I know that it's nice to be polite and considerate to others. That is why I post a picture or two and then offer a link to a gallery of other shots.

I did live in a place where they still use shared paired lines for telephone (didn't effect voice use, but was very noisy for modems.) Max dialup bandwidth was 24Kb/s. Yes, that was with 56K modems dialing up to a digital backend ISP.

The houses were too far apart and too few to make broadband profitable... And believe it or not, the average income to the town was severalhundred thousand a year. It wasn't that people couldn't pay, it was that it would cost too much to build it out. Now that the price of building out the network has dropped, they finally got broadband in the last year or so (they were very late in getting cable too.)

I didn't really think that those pictures were overly large, a quick look at two shows them to be 150K (I normally aim for 125K, but that is for a requirement of another forum I use.) But you did post about 2MB of data in pictures. That is a lot for one thread.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 12:31 AM   #16

Viper wrote:
Quote:
Cheers guys!

I must say what food for thought,firstly at the moment I have a Olympus D-490ZOOM but obviously for the transition i was thinking of getting a nikon D70 or simply buying a DSLR.

The kind of photography being discussed is just the kind that I would like to create, not the fast hurried shot but a picture where feeling is most prominent, in the case of portraits I see them as similar because where as with landscapes I want others to feel that they were there and the photo to also give a sense of omnipotence and with the portraits I'm looking to take them in black & white which will bring out a certain depth especially with the photos I have in mind.

I was going to get a tripod in any case for night shots so that's fine. Very good two sites Eric the first one especially.Benny you seem to know just the photos when it comes to landscapes.
Well, since you said "I was thinking of getting a Nikon D70 or simply buying a DSLR." A Nikon D70 IS a DSLR. Tripods are also great...they make you think instead of just firing away. Get a good tripod too...Bogen makes some nice ones & ball-heads are very easy to use (don't go cheap on your tripod)!
Old Aug 18, 2004, 6:07 AM   #17

Ben,

Just wanted to say I think your landscape photos are stunning -and after looking at your action shots... oh I hope I've been able to geta D70 beforemy next ski holiday!
Skeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 2:14 AM   #18

Skeech wrote:
Quote:
Ben,

Just wanted to say I think your landscape photos are stunning -and after looking at your action shots... oh I hope I've been able to geta D70 beforemy next ski holiday!

Thanks for the Complements, thats only a small small example of the work I've done, I never post my absolute best work, did that before and it got ripped off :roll::P