Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 2, 2004, 9:09 AM   #1

Hi there!
I have been browsing your forum for some time and it looks very informative.I have been into photography for a while now and have only recently got into Digital Photography, but I am still quite new to all this so I hope you don't make too much fun when I display my lack of knowledge!!!

I am looking to start taking portrait & landscape photographs, are there any tips that would help in getting my pictures sharp and proficient.
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2004, 12:41 PM   #2

A tough question.

You don't say what camera you use, so I can't help you there.

For landscape photography the best way to get sharper pictures is to use a tripod. It also forces you to slow down, which is often a good thing. It makes you think about what you are actually shooting and why. What is it that made you stop and take that picture... something did, so you have to figure out what. Once you do that, then you have to figure out how to emphasise that. Was it a building? The expanse of the view? A group of people on a bench? The light coming through the trees?

You might find this interesting, if a bit more serious than you might be:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...tracting.shtml

It's just a good web site to read in general.

Sorry I can't help you on potraits.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 1:31 PM   #3

I don't do much with portraits, but i do have some ideas.

The eyes are an incredibly important part of a photo. The convey easily as much and more than the rest of the face. Try to be aware of what they are communicating. You can create discord or harmony with them the way that you can with color.

Try hard to not make the model stare into the sun, you just get squinting and a strained pose. This is what the fill flash is for.

Set exposure and focus, then get snap when the subject is right.

Try to get the models in a mood suitable for the photo you want. Small talk and general candor are your friends.

Don't be afraid to have the model look away from the camera, and even turn their backs to the camera. When it works it can give a picture more sustained interest.

Hopefully that helps
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 4:37 PM   #4

You also might find some of this interesting/useful.

http://www.cs.duke.edu/~parr/photography/faq.html

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 1:58 AM   #5

Good advice so far. A lot depends on how you learn, but one of the best things is to take in seminars...I was at one once by a portrait photographer and I learned more in that evening than in any book.

The big thing is to practice, experiment, and more practice...since taking digital costs almost nothing, take lots of shots, and try different settings.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 2:00 AM   #6

I agree with Eric about slowing down. Digital photographers, me included, tend to fire off a bunch of pictures and hope one will turn out. Stop and take a look at your shot before you actually take it.

I find that if I keep a photo journal with me and write down all of the info about the pic I am taking (shutter speed, f-stop, flash, white balance, zoom, etc.) I slow down a bit. I know that the EXIF data will show all of this info, but this gives me a reason to slow down and think about the shot as well as document where I took the shot.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 3:10 AM   #7

Eric your second site reference is awesome.

Another way to make your photos better is take some classes. Anything from online to your local community collage. Take part in photo challanges in a varity of forums. There is a good one here. Good luck.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 4:14 AM   #8

Viper wrote:
Quote:
Hi there!
I have been browsing your forum for some time and it looks very informative.I have been into photography for a while now and have only recently got into Digital Photography, but I am still quite new to all this so I hope you don't make too much fun when I display my lack of knowledge!!!

I am looking to start taking portrait & landscape photographs, are there any tips that would help in getting my pictures sharp and proficient.
I do a lot of both.

For Landscapes I like to take advantage of any possible shadows or good opportunity to use color. As mentioned previously, Tripods are a must. I dont know what you shoot with, I have a DSLR, so I can fool with Aperture, filters and a stable of lens' to cusomize how the shots will look.

bennyunknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 4:15 AM   #9

For action shots, follow the subject with the camera, dont wait for them to come into frame and then take the pic.

Old Aug 3, 2004, 4:27 AM   #10

And for portrait stuff, I really concentrate on the eyes, as I just love the look you can get with the right lighting and such.

Generally with portrait stuff you want to avoid background shadow, but with this latest shoot, it was part of the requirements, so right on.

Here's a few various ones where I concentrate on the eyes.

Shooting from various levels and angle helps a huge amount as well. Use various filters to achieve different moods and feelings. Try dark shots using spot lighting, and such. If your subject is willing, try anything you can

Note the filter change, and what it does to the whole mood.