Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 2, 2004, 1:26 PM   #1

I currenty have a Canon Digital Rebel with the 420EX flash. I want to upgrade to the 550EX and make the 420EX a slave. How well does this work, and would my money be better spent on standard studio strobes? I like the idea of the Canon flashes because of the wireless\plugless capabilities. I was going to add some quatum power packs later. I think Photogentic also makes a system that runs on batter power, but it is not E-TTL with the Canon Rebel. Also, how do you get stands and umbrella's for this type of configuration?

What do you think?
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2004, 2:07 PM   #2
NHL

minutephotos.com wrote:
Quote:
...I was going to add some quatum power packs later. I think Photogentic also makes a system that runs on batter power, but it is not E-TTL with the Canon Rebel.
They do now: http://www.qtm.com/flash/qft4d.php

Compare to studio lights in general the EX'es tend to not recycle as fast and your aperture ranges are more limited especially with the weaker 420EX (+ no external power source available) and more so when one start bouncing, but it's doable... but more portable/compact for sure! :-)

The drawbacks I can think of are the multiple flashes from the master/slaves, and the more restricted placement of the slaves... (I use my 550EX with two more powerful Sigma EF500DG Super units over the 420's)
:|

BTW the Sigma's can also be slaved to Studio strobes if you decide to do both
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 3:58 PM   #3

Was doing some shots of a friendsĀ“ baby and didnt have/need the studio lights...then all of a sudden they wanted a group family shot! This pic was taken with a Sigma 500ex on the hotshoe and a metz CT4 on the side of the camera. Both flashguns were bounced up and one slightly to the left the other slightly to the right....full power....result is actually acceptable...I am sure with more practice and time you could get it spot on. I sometimes use this combination to photograph small interiors of houses....works great and saves the time and hassle of setting up the studio lights!! Good luck! :?
Attached Images

Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 6:23 PM   #4

I have decided not to go this way. I might pick up a Sigma 500 DG Super because of the low price. I could lfor light weight onsite stuff use the Sigma as an on camera master and the 420 EX as a slave. But I will probably never spend that kind of money on the 550EX when for about the same price I could by a Travelite 375 Studio strobe with stand and umbrella. With this I could add softboxes later and get even more creative shots. the 550EX with seperately purchaes stand and umbrella is too expensive for what you get. The Sigma is low cost enough to where it is not a bad risk. I will just set the 420EX somewhere or use my existing tripod stand.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote