Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 4, 2004, 11:03 AM   #1

Hi Again, :?

As a novice just trying to improve my photographs my question is this. Is the use of filters just the same in Digital photography as it would have been in 35mm film photography. (can the same ones be used)

Am I correct in the thought that as a digital camera is only going to see in the colour spectrum the same as a 35mm film camera would see there should be no difference in filter use.
russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2004, 12:00 PM   #2

I believe that is basically correct.

The ability to take pictures in IR with an infrared filter is different... not all cameras can do that (I think.)

But beyond that, they all do basically the same thing.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 1:44 PM   #3

Another thing to point out, the white balance settings in a digital camera may detract or even nullify some coloured filter effects.
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 8:32 PM   #4

As Chako pointed out, auto white balance may pose a problem so choose the appropriate preset to match the lighting and then use the filter, that should work but on garantees. One more point, if you have a linear polarizer it probably will not work with your digital, you need a circular polarizer (which all of the autofocus 35mm SLRs required anyway).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 11:11 PM   #5

Most people don't use color filters with digital. It is easy to get the exact effect you want in an image editor.

Special effects filters such as graduated neutral density, star filters and such are used. Other than the graduated neutral density filter I personally prefer to add the special effects in Photoshop. There are some great plug-ins for the job if you like that sort of thing. If you take the shot with a special effects filter and then wish you had the picture without it I find it a lot harder to remove than to add stuff.

Many people use a UV filter to protect the lens. Most serious photographers carry a polarizer. It can also be used as a nertral density filter. Some DSLRs with semi-transparent mirrors require circular polarizers, but all others do just as well with a linear polarizer. The effect is the same, the circulars just cost more.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 4:46 AM   #6

I bought a couple filters for my 300d a while ago and have really enjoyed using them. Coupled with the fact that i shoot in RAW and using filters i found that it really makes you sit down and think about the shot rather than just snapping away. I use PS7 as my editior but i find i have a lot more pleasure in a finished print if most of the work was done in the field rather than sat in front of my pc.
Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 3:48 PM   #7

You haven't mention which camera you own...some consumer cameras require a filter adapter tube to add a filter, or converter lens to the camera. Other cameras can't use filters due to there being no threads at all (although Cokin has an adapter for these cameras to use their filters).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 2:53 PM   #8

Hi, Thanks again for all the input.

At the moment I am learning with a MINOLTA A1, trying to use manual mode rather than just point & shoot & the wife unkown to me has ordered a Canon Rebel.(so my wife still loves me after 30 years:?)

As an addutional question, can I use the Cokin filter system with this A1, or is it only really for the 35mm type camera's?.

I do have a number of filters ranging from 49mm to 67mm mostly bought from sites like ebay at cheap prices, why run before I can walk?

Thanks Again.
Old Aug 8, 2004, 3:42 PM   #9

There's no problem with using Cokins with the A1 (as long as the camera has a standard filter thread to accept a Cokin thread-on adapter). I personally use one with my Olympus C-700. Just heed the comments said about coloured filters and auto white balance.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 4:42 PM   #10

Hi, Just a quick question please. Am Ibetter to use A or P series cokin with the Minolta A1.

Thanks.

Russell.