Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 14, 2004, 3:34 AM   #1

I am a complete photography newbie and just got a Cannon Digital Rebel and was wondering if you all could suggest some books for me to read up on as far as general photography info?

Only photo experience is with a Sony P-9 digital point and shoot.

I tend to pick things up quickly so a book with a good depth of knowledge would be great

Thanks guys

Tabb

tabbytabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2004, 3:57 AM   #2

Start here:
http://209.196.177.41/

That is an online "book" that covers the basics about digital photography, including more advanced topics.

The best thing you can do though (after reading all your manuals) is go out and shoot...get lots of practice in. Try different settings for the same shot.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 4:07 AM   #3

Mike, thanks very much for the link. And good advice, I plan on shooting a ton once my camera gets here

I got a couple gigs of memory cards so that should keep me going!

Thanks again

Tabb
tabbytabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 11:18 AM   #4
Administrator

tabbytabb wrote:
Quote:
I am a complete photography newbie and just got a Cannon Digital Rebel and was wondering if you all could suggest some books for me to read up on as far as general photography info?

I highly recommend Dennis Curtin's Digital Rebel Book

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 5:10 PM   #5

Actually, the link I posted above was also written by Dennis Curtin...check it out first to see if his style of writing is right for you, but the dedicated book is a great idea.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 5:02 AM   #6

I had to respond to your post because I want to share a must-have suggestion for you...

"Real World Digital Photography" 2nd edition by Katrin Eismann, ISBN 0-321-22372-1

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ce&s=books

After reading/thumbing through many books, this one quickly became my bible for digital photography (MANY I read were very poor).This bookgoes from basic to very advanced, with definitions, explanations, and pictures all along. It covers everything, and does so with easy to follow explainations/examples, and goes from basic to very advanced/scientific topics. This book is easy to follow, but caters to a reader wanting to become an advanced photographer. It is a book I refer to/thumb through all the time.

Guides/books specific to your cam are great for exploiting your camera for all its worth, however, I would categorize this book as a must have "bible" for digital photography...Enjoy!
tjk3052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 1:56 AM   #7

John Hedgecoe's, Photographer's Handbook...it covers just about anything related to photography (pre-digital, but excellent information).
Old Aug 17, 2004, 7:53 PM   #8

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie too, and I bought a book a few days ago called 'How to do Everything with Your Digital Camera' by Dave Johnson, published by McGraw-Hill/Osborne. You can either dip into it to read up on particular things, or read it cover to cover - which is what I'm doing. Seems very informative, and I'm enjoying reading it!

Eileene
Skeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 6:46 AM   #9

does anybody know a good book more tawords extreme sports fotography like snowboarding (backcountry/freeriding). i once found a book but didnt order it (stupid) but i dont remember the title/writer/publisher (again stupid) but it had a snowboarder on the cover and all pictures inside were commented with their appropriate lens and camera setting.

any tip is welcome thank you very much
bertje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 9:15 AM   #10

Sort of surprised that nobody recommended "Digital Photography for Dummies" by Julie Adair King.

The book is informative, and more importantly, funny to read which keeps your interest going. Furthermore, it is written for an audience that has no prior experience to photography. Even people who know a lot can still learn something from it also.
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote