Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 15, 2004, 10:03 AM   #1

I'm back from vacation with over 300 pictures to print, so i went out to buy some photo paper.

At Best Buy, I was faced with Fuji, Kodac, Canon, HP and one other. I knew better than to ask some one what they recommend so i will ask here.

My goal when i entered Best Buy was Fuji but the Canon markerters won out.

The marketing behind these probucts is comical. I think Kodac states "colorfast for up to 100 years". (maybe this is true when combined with a good quality printer with a good inkjet technology)

Canon was the only manufacture to publish ISO Brightness.The "Pro Glossy" was 88 and the "Paper Plus Glossy" was 92. The "Paper Plus Glossy" was heavier than the "Pro Glossy", but less expensive.

I skipped over the canon pro glossy and went for the canon photo paper plus glossy.

The main reason the pro glossy was not available in the 120 value pack. So it was hard to figure the preimum for the marketing word "Pro".

Any paper comments for the future.
obrien040362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2004, 10:30 AM   #2

You didn't say what printer or what size print you want. If you're using a Canon printer (which I think you are) go to www.redriverpaper.comand take a look at what they offer. I use their papers with my Canon !960 and the ICC profiles from RedRiver and get excellent results.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 10:56 AM   #3

using a lexmark P700 right now, but i am shopping a new printer. It will be a canon and most likely the 960 or a wide carriage version

Thanks for the site. They have good pricing.
obrien040362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 11:48 AM   #4

If your on a real tight budget, IBM photo glossy isn't all that bad. It isn't the best, but surprisingly gives fairly good results for the money.

If you want longevity from your prints, I believe mate paper generally is rated higher for colour fastness then glossy papers.
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 9:37 PM   #5

The canon paper I've found yielded the best results for my Canon printer. Kodak's came out wrong skintones, a sample of HP paper I've tried was quite thin in comparison to the Paper Plus' 270GSM.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote