Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 17, 2004, 7:02 PM   #1

Hi,

I have a few questions I haven't so far been able to find the answers to; hope you can help!

First one is, what is a PC Sync Socket?

Second one, in camera reviews I've sometimes seen the number of pixels stated, followed in brackets by the number of effective pixels. What does this mean?

Third, looking at advertisements for lenses they sometimes give the aperture of the lens as being for example, f2.8 - f8. Other times they just state one f number. Where just one number is given,does itmean that the lens has a fixed aperture?

Thanks for any help!
Skeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2004, 1:12 AM   #2

1) PC does not mean Personal Computer...it stands for Pin/Circle and it's a type of flash socket (rather than using the hot shoe) that's used more (these days) to connect to studio flashes.

2) Effective means that's the actual number of pixels used out of the total number of pixels on the CCD.

3) You'd have to look more closely on the lens specs...sometimes only the widest opening is specified, other times they might say "1:2.8-3.5" which actually means that with the zoom at the widest position it's f2.8, and as you zoom in the maximum opening reduces to F3.5...but the lens itself may be able to close down further like F8 or F11.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 3:51 AM   #3

Oh I see! Thanks for your help Mike, much appreciated!
Old Aug 18, 2004, 8:43 AM   #4

Also on point 3, some lenses are not zoom lenses. These lenses have a fixed focal length and are called prime lenses. An example would be a 50mm lens. These type of fixed focal length lens will only show one aperture value. Zoomlens tend to show you a range of aperture valued depending on which focallength your using.
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 10:58 AM   #5

Chako, I asked on the other thread what prime lenses arebut got no replies to that one - so thanks for enlightening me.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 8:44 PM   #6

Chako wrote:
Quote:
Also on point 3, some lenses are not zoom lenses. These lenses have a fixed focal length and are called prime lenses. An example would be a 50mm lens. These type of fixed focal length lens will only show one aperture value. Zoom lens tend to show you a range of aperture valued depending on which focal length your using.
Just to make sure that it's clear...a prime lens may list only one aperture (like f1.4) but the lens actually had a wide range of apertures available (like f1.4-f22). Zoom lenses ususally list the largest apertures for their range too (like f1.8-f3.5) but they will also have a working range of apertures (like f1.8 at the wide angle, up to a f22 at all focal ranges). Is that confusing enough?
Old Aug 19, 2004, 9:08 PM   #7

LOL! Actually Kalypso, I was still abit confused until later on when I was looking at some prime lenses for sale on ebay and I could see from the pics that those had the full aperture range, so realized that prime lenses aren't restriced to just one f stop. Thanks for replying; my haze of confusion is beginning tothin outa little now! :?