Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 18, 2004, 9:08 PM   #1

Hi,

I have viewed a lot of threads in which the poster said they took their picture using a reverse lens. I did read a post on another site that somewhat described what this is and how to do it, but it did not really go into detail. Can someone explain this to me in the easiest of terms? If it's at all possible, could some post a picture of the actual lenses mounted on their camera? Hope I am not asking too much. Thanks a bunch.
golovemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2004, 10:30 PM   #2

hang on and ill go take a picture of one for you...
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 10:53 PM   #3

ok, here is what you want to do, get a 50mm F/1.8 (they are cheap, i payed $100 for mine) and turn it bas-aackwards so the mount is faceing the subjuct, and get the front of the lens on your camera as close as you can get it to the front of the other lens, as close as you can get away with, then tape it in place(a faster way would be to buy an adapter ring) and then just experement!

here is my picture, sorry for the quality,the camera i usedis a little kodak d3800, my other digital is the subject of the picture, so i couldnt use that....:sad:

anyway, here it is:

Attached Images

Old Aug 18, 2004, 10:57 PM   #4

hope it helps, brad
Old Aug 18, 2004, 10:58 PM   #5

Reverse lens adapters are very easy to make. All you need is:

1: step up or step down ring (depending upon the size of your main lens, and the one you wish to attach to your main lens)

2: a cheap filter the size of your lens you are going to attach to your main lens.

3: some epoxy

First take the glass gently out of the cheap filter. You only need the metal filter ring. Most filters are held in by a piece of spring steel. The trick is to do this with a small flat screwdriver used for lens repairs etc.

What you want to do now is to take your step up/down ring along with your empty filter holder. You now need to epoxy the filter holder to the step up/down ring in such a way that you have 2 male threads pointing outwards. This will allow you to attach the new lens reverser adapter to your main lens via the filter screw, and to attach your add on lens backwards to the front glass of your main one via its filter threads.

This way, you have one lens attached to another reversed. Most people usually use a 50mm lens, but you can have fun with other lenses if you have them.

For example, I have a lens that accepts 58mm filters. I wish to attach a 50mm prime lens that accepts 49mm filters. I buy a step down ring that will screw onto my 58mm threaded main lens. I then buy a cheap 49mm filter. I then remove the glass and keep the metal filter ring. I then glue the 49mm empty filter to the front of the step down ring in such a way that I can screw my 50mm lens to my main lens via their filter threads. This reverses the 50mm lens as I am attaching them front glass to front glass.

Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:32 PM   #6

oh, and i'd use a tripod and mf, because dof is VERY shallow
Old Aug 19, 2004, 12:11 AM   #7

It could be great if anyone can post a blueprint or a schematic to know how to make a reverse lens.

How do you manage the aperture?
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 7:51 AM   #8

Ok, here are a few images.

The first show the ring adapter that I describe in my previous post. This consist of a step down ring (in my case) epoxied to a 49mm empty filter ring (Has to be 49mm for it to fit my 50mm Olympus lens). Depending on the filter sizes of the lens your trying to connect to, your measurements will vary to mine.

You have to glue each so that their male threads point outwards. This allows you to attach a reverse lens to your main lens via their filter threads.

Attached Images

Old Aug 19, 2004, 7:53 AM   #9

This one shows the reverse adapter attached to the manual Olympus 50mm lens that I decided to use for illustrative purposes. You should note that the revers adapter is now screwed onto the filter threads of the 50mm Olympus.
Attached Images

Old Aug 19, 2004, 7:55 AM   #10

Here is the last one of the small series. This photo shows the reversed lens attached tothe main lens on the camera.

EDIT: Forgot to say that it helps if you have an internal focusing lens. The weight of the reverse lens will cause stress if your front glass turns when you focus on your main lens.

Attached Images