Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 19, 2004, 11:25 PM   #1

I'm just getting to know my digi camera and am taking photos for my cities newspaper just for photo credit. I'm having trouble understand what to do to meter the exposure.

I have a Sony Cyber-shotDSC-F707 that has multi-patterning, center-weighted, and spot meter options. My question is how do I meter an area, do I press the shutter halfway down when pointing at what I want to meter or what. Then after that do I just point and shoot at what I want to shoot.And will the sameexposure stillbe were I point. ( I know this probably isn't right and that's why I'm here, to get some help)

I'm very confused on this subject and would appreciate all the help I could get.
I also posted this in tips and tricks because I register right when I say how much help people give. Sorry
CaliBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2004, 5:42 AM   #2

Most cameras will pre-focus and take ameter reading when you press the shutter button half way. If you like what you see, then you continue with the full press to take the photo. However, if you plan on using spot metering on a subject that isn't center in the frame, then an extra step is needed. You will have to locate your AE lock button on your camera (not familiar with your camera..but there should be one onit somewhere). You point your camera at the off center subject, half press the shutter button, then press the AE lock button. This locks in the metered values. So as long as you hold in this button, you can recompose your photo, with the other metered values used.

You will have to read your manual on how to change your metering modes. However, if you enter your menu, you should be able to change your metering settings in there. Some models restrict you by tying a certain metering with a certain program function...so you will have to read the manual to know more about your specific camera.

Now back to meter reading....when you half press your shutter button, the camera is taking a continuous meter reading. This way, it tried to properly expose your photos all the time...especially if your in a program mode. If your in metered manual, then it tries to give you the right directions to change either/both your shutter speed and aperture.

1. Multi pattern metering is the most forgiving. It evaluates the frame, and uses the internal precessing computer in your camera to come up with a best metering option. How it does this, and what areas are evaluated, differ from model to model, and from manufacture to manufacture. Regardless, this is the best metering pattern for most shots, especially for most beginners as it is the most forgiving.

2. Center weight metering is an old metering pattern. Most old 35mm SLRs have this metering pattern, so it has been around for a while. Generally, the scenery in the middle of your frame is weight more heavily then the outer edges for metering purposes. So, whatever light falls on the center of your frame, will determining the metering values, disregarding any bright light sources, etc..on the edges of your frame.

3. Spot metering is weighed towards the center likecenter weight, but of a much smaller area. Depending upon the model, etc..the spot can be large or small. Spot metering mode means that the camera will determine exposure using a very small central portion of your frame. This metering option isn't versatile as the others..but is most useful if your trying to get a proper exposer of a subject highlighted by a back light source. This metering is also the most difficult for amateurs and beginners to use. Studio photographers love spot metering as it allows them to take several precise measurments of a scene and gives them complete control over the exposure.
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 12:16 PM   #3

Thank you very much. Your advise has finally made me understand. I've found the AE\lock too.
CaliBoy is offline   Reply With Quote