Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 23, 2004, 5:36 AM   #1

My camera doesn't have a manual white balance (Sony P10), and the auto white balance is all over the place when I try take some macro shots of various items.

I was wondering if there was any software I could use, where if I included a white item in the picture (say a small piece of white paper), all I had to do is indicate that "this is white", and the rest of the picture would be accurately color corrected?

drean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2004, 8:16 AM   #2

What photo editing software do you use? You can white balance with the "bit of white paper" trick in photoshop fairly easily. I've heard about a plugin for photoshop called "color mechanic" (it might be one word) that is supposed to make white balance and other color correction easy, but I've never seen it let alone used it. So you should do more research before buying it.

What lighting do you use? If you use mixed types of bulbs, you can be introducing a complex color cast which will make you life much harder.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 4:59 PM   #3

Although your camera doesn't have a manual white balance, have you tried any of the other white balance settings that your camera does have?

Daylight
Cloudy
Fluorescent
Incandescent

You might try each one with the scene you're shooting and preview to see which is better for the particular scene.
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 9:26 PM   #4

The LCD on the back of the camera is not a good way to judge white balance. They are usually not calibrated and generally not very good. To match the brightness that I see on my calibrated monitor I had to lower the brightness on the LCD to 2 of 5. It ships on 3. They are good for judging composition and rough exposure. But I would not consider looking at the LCD on the camera a good way to judge critical white balance issues or even sharpness (i.e. if it looks out of focus it is, if it looks in focus it might not be.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote