Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 14, 2002, 10:26 PM   #11

I've used Wal-Mart. Just took in a CD-R (they couldn't read a CD-RW from my PC, but that is worth a try at your local outfit). They didn't blink at a 90M JPEG - a low compression result of stitching 18 pictures together.

It is important to have them cropped to the aspect ratio you want - 2:3 for 'snapshot' size of 4x6" and 2:5 for 4x10" panoramas. If you don't have them cropped right, they will crop them in ways you might not want.

One hour service so the drive isn't to bad - just have lunch and do some shopping while I'm out.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 2:21 AM   #12

I use PhotoWorks.com. They used to be Seatle Filmworks. 4x6 for $.19 and 8x12 for $1.95. I think these are special prices right now, though. They do of course add shipping. I ordered 3-4x6 amd 1-8x12 for $3.85 just to test them out. The 8x12 looked like a photograph. They only offer gloss prints.

They will also store the photos on their servers as long as you place one or two orders (I can't remember which) at least every 12 months. I have about 3 years worth of images from film there. They also offer other products such as mugs, puzzles, baseballs, etc. from digital images.

The max resolution they accept is 2200 pixels on any side. If you upload a larger file to them, their software automagically will resize (not crop) the image. They do limit the size of print you can order if you send lower res images.
JohnOR86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2002, 6:58 AM   #13

Default Back to Voxmagna's Question

8) Voxmagna's point was a concern about file size for images submitted over the Web. Can you really email 6 36MP images to an on-line printer?

I have the same question.

Thank you.

Bob
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2002, 8:50 AM   #14

Hi, there was also a second point implied in my question, which was:

I have a cam which produces high res image files - but what res. are they actually processed and printed at?

e.g I could send say a 1MB (18MB uncompressed) JPEG and it gets turned into a 0.3MB uncompressed image for printing 6X4! In which case I might as well shoot 640X480 uncompressed. No thanks!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2002, 10:31 AM   #15

Inquire with the lab you are having your prints made at to find out what dpi resolution they're printed out at, usually 300 or 400 dpi for laser / light jet type printers.

In Photoshop, my Canon G2 2272 x 1704 "Image size" is shown, by default, with a print size of 31.5 " x 23.7" and 72 for monitor viewing. I change the print size to say 4" x 6" and 300 0r 400 ppi and save it in a separate folder.

Hope this helps...Harvey
ltdedorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2002, 1:14 PM   #16

ltdedorc.. Yes you're right about finding out. I've not had much luck yet, the staff are not always that technical, and most customers are bringing in files from 1-2m pix digicams!

I agree with the sizing. I'm also lossless cropping as I hope this avoids their machine making the changes, don't know if they auto-correct though. I'm putting some test images in my next order so I can check if they're changing crop settings, and downsampling.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 3:30 PM   #17

Default digital to photofinisher

I never used Frontier, but I hear that its resolution is 300dpi. If you have it - use it, if you don't - do your best.
If you edit, don't recompress JPEGs (save TIFFs) and try to find out what color space the lab is using. Most (I hear) preffer sRGB. This is unfortunate because it grosses-out professionals, but it may help a lot if you want your flesh tones to match the monitor.
retoucher is offline   Reply With Quote