Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:17 PM   #1

Hi everyone

I am just starting out in digital photography and photography in general, i would like to get the A1 or A2. I would mainly be taking pictures of my family, friends and sporting events, along with trying some more challenging pictures.

I have just read that the A2 creates large files and slows the processing down alot and unless you are going to crop your pictures alot then you are better off with the A1 for general use.

I would be storeing the pictures on my computer and disc, I can only print upto A4 in size and I want the best quality pictures I can get. Please could anyone offer me advice and which would be the best camera for me as a beginer and very limited skills in digital photography and post processing.

Thanks for any help and advice offered.
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2004, 2:07 PM   #2

Beside the Mpixel diference (5 vs8 ), they are quite close based on the specs.
For your needs, I would go for a A1, unless the A2's price is not much higher . The 5 to 8 Mpixels step seems very high, but I don't expect the picture quality proportionnal to that ratio. You should look at both camera sample pictures to judge.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 3:38 PM   #3

RobT wrote:
Quote:
Please could anyone offer me advice and which would be the best camera for me as a beginer and very limited skills in digital photography and post processing.
This seems to be the key sentence from what I read. The A1 or A2 are probably the most advanced Prosumer Digicams out except for DSLR's. While you can set them up to shoot using the preprogramed modes, I would not equate them with being the best camera for a beginner.

However, if your goal is to buy only one camera & study to learn how to wring out every bit of the cameras capabilities, then either camera is great for that. I chose the A1 because I like the (less dense/noisy) sensor.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 6:43 PM   #4

What, beside a camera, are the A1 & A2. Brand? Went to look up in the review section but can't find. Sorry to be so dense. :?

Suzan

Never mind found them.

ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 7:38 PM   #5
NHL

I've just checked the other day and the A1 / A2 are now very close in price; Beside the A1 is also discontinued, so it'll be even harder to find!
http://www.pricescan.com/digiphoto/s.../Q08010100.asp

BTW The A2 does have the best electronic viewfinder out there though of any EVF's camera, even over the A1 with more like several times the resolution...
NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 3:20 AM   #6

The price for the A1 and A2 are not quite so close in the uk with about £100 difference. I USE THE KODAX DX4530 at the moment which is more or less a point and shoot. I would just be buying one camera and trying touse it to the best of it's ability in all situations. I'm just not sure which would be the best between these cameras!!

If the A1 is getting discontinued would that make it more difficult to get fixed if there was a problem?

I have used the A1 and really liked it, I'm just not sure if it would be worth going up to 8meg for the extra cost.

Again thanks to all who have replied and their views on this subject.

ANY MORE VIEWS WOULD BE READ WITH GREAT INTEREST.
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote