Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 21, 2004, 2:12 PM   #1

Hello,

I just purchased Canon A400 (still on its way!). Just to take some photos from vacations and share with friends via email, I thought it was good enough.

Now I started shopping around rechargable batteries and SD card.

I visited several web sites with reviews for SD cards. I thought itwas just a memory card - whatever availble at reasonable price would be fine. But some people posted some stories mentioning certain SD cards are not compatible for this camera and that camera. I am really confused.Somesay good things about SanDisk but others have stories to tell.

I am thinking to buy 128MB or 256MB (since I am planning to take mostin mid quality photos for emailing). SanDisk, Viking, Lexar,Panasonic, PNY - it seemsthat PNYis well-balanced (quality & price). Is there any brandI should avoid among them? In Amazon.com, most people have problems with the Kingston products... I guess I should avoid this one....

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Brian
BrianFTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2004, 2:58 PM   #2
TC3

I use Panasonic and Kingmax high speed cards which i got on e bay for same price as normal speed cards on amazon so go look there
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 8:19 PM   #3
Administrator

BrianFTC wrote:
Quote:
I am thinking to buy 128MB or 256MB (since I am planning to take mostin mid quality photos for emailing). SanDisk, Viking, Lexar,Panasonic, PNY - it seemsthat PNYis well-balanced (quality & price). Is there any brandI should avoid among them? In Amazon.com, most people have problems with the Kingston products... I guess I should avoid this one....
Brian:

Originally, there were only 3 "real" manufacturers of Secure Digital Media: Sandisk, Panasonic, and Toshiba. This is still the same for most "manufacturers" (although Lexar seems to be making their own now, some of their cards in the supply chain may still be Panasonic, and some may still be Sandisk).

Many other brands (Dane_Electric,PNY, Transcend, Pretec and Viking, etc.) use more than one component supplier.So, determing if you'll get a "good" card, or a "bad" card is difficult (one batch may be using one supplier, and the next batch a different supplier).

As a general rule, the cards using the same components as Sandisk's standard cards tend to have the most problems (compatibility with some devices, etc.). The 256mb SD card tended to have the most problems (particularly in some PDA's that had a controller that did not work well with the components Sandisk used in this size card).

However, Sandisk appears to have sorted out the problems, and is now making a card that works well with all devices (although you still risk getting one of the older ones, they will swap it out if you have problems).

Some PDA's have a "Card Info" utility that lets you see who really made the components. However, this is not possible to tell when ordering the cards (with some exceptions). Personally, I'd go with a Panasonic or Simpletech card in 256mb or 512mb size as a first choice (Simpletech cards in these sizes use the same components as Panasonic).

My next choice would be Lexar's "high speed" SD Cards (their high speed cards all used the same components as Panasonic until recently, but now Lexar appears to be making their own -- which are reliable).

My third choice would be the Toshiba SD Cards (but I don't know of a realiable way to tell if a given manufacturer other than Toshiba is using their components consistently).

My last choice would be other brands.

Sandisk's Ultra II cards are actually the fastest (based on benchmarks I've seen). But, personally, I'd trust the Panasonic cards more.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 9:45 PM   #4

Card speed? 2x,4x 16x 40x what's the difference? I'm buying the canon a 85 what card is best? Please email me @ [email protected]
Brand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:16 PM   #5

Jim,

Thank you so much for all your kind and detailed information. You advice is much more useful than the reviews on some "shopping" web sites, especially after knowing you are IT consultant. I truly appreciate it.

I had no idea that most manufactures used the components developed by another supplier and that we never knew which one we were getting .

Also I was amused by your mentioning that 256MB cards tended to have more problems - actually, I noticed this fact after reading several reviews - 256MB seems to receive more negative comments than 128MB & 512MB even made by the same company.

I am so glad that I posted my question here. Please continue to help newbies like myself in the future,Jim- I am sure that I will have more questions in a next few weeks.I count on you!

Now I am going to look for a good deal on Panasonic or simpletech's cards!

Brian
Old Sep 22, 2004, 4:14 AM   #6
Administrator

Actually, I'm out of work right now.....

One of the reasons you see more problems reported with the 256mb SD Cards, is because this size is more popular.

However, there were some specific problems with these cards in some devices. Konica-Minolta used to havewarnings in their "tested cards" list about using the 256mb card my latest camera (Konica KD-510z); and it also did not interface well the controller used in some PDA's (the Dell Axim is an example). But, you see the same problems reported with other size cards, too.

Chances are, any of the cards will work fine now, and if you get one that has a problem, Sandisk will replace it.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 4:19 AM   #7
Administrator

Brand wrote:
Quote:
Card speed? 2x,4x 16x 40x what's the difference? I'm buying the canon a 85 what card is best? Please email me @ [email protected]
Well, there is no real good standard for the x ratings. As a general rule, each x is supposed to be 150kb/second (this is the way Lexar rates their cards). However, most devices will never get anywhere close to a card's potential speed.

Personally, I'd buy the fastest card I could, even if the camera would not take advantage of it. From my perspective, using a card reader, you'd get faster transfer times. Also, if you buy another camera in the future that did take advantage of a faster card, then it may work better in it.

I don't know if A85 takes advantage of a faster card or not. This camera uses CompactFlash media. I've heard good things about the Lexar 80x CompactFlash Cards in some devices. However, it may not offer any benefits for the A85. You may want to ask on the Canon forum, to see whatusers have found works best in their camera.

Old Sep 22, 2004, 7:01 PM   #8
W6

Brian --I use a SanDisk 256 in my new Canon A400 and have no problems.

I have camera set on M2 and fine compression. Camera counter says I can take

730 plus photos.. I assume I will still need a change of batteries before it

meets that count . But I have had no problems and pictures are great for

a cheapie camera. Neil:-)
W6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 9:51 PM   #9

Hello, everyone,

Thanks so much for all your advice! Well, I shopped around. The best deal I found was actually 256mb Lexar at Sam's Club at less than $40 (but I could not see where it was made)... until I found this 256mb Kingston's card. Well, as I mentioned in my first message, some guys don't like this brand but it was $21+ ($3 shipping) at newegg.com and $15 rebate. Only $8... what can I lose.

Andteh cardis made in Japan. Some people mentioned to me that where it was made was more important than what brand it was. I have not tried to take hundreds of pics with it yet butI am satisfied with my decision at the moment. If this doesn't work. I promise to most another note here.

After spending some money for the camera, I didn't have much budget left... sorry guys... but your advice was so very helpful for me to understand the basic of the memory card! Many thanks!

Brian