Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 24, 2004, 8:04 AM   #1

Hi there,

I'd like to ask if I can buy a digital (Minolta A2) camera in USA and use it in Europe. Is there any possible problem?

Thanx

Jirina42
jirina42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2004, 9:11 AM   #2

There are a few potential problems I can think of.

Service. Some camera companies won't service a US camera not in the US. They do this because they know the cost is less here (i.e. they are sticking it to the non-US market.) Not all companies do this, though... and a few say they do but actually don't.

TV output. It might put out NTSC and not PAL. Some cameras can do both.

If it has any distance info stamped on the lens barrel it might be in feet not meters (oh, why oh why can't did that pirate ship attack the ship carrying the metric units when they were being delivered to the US from France. If they had made it we might be on the metric system like every one else.)

Oh, you might get the US/English software.

Other than that... I think you're ok.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 9:36 AM   #3

Don't forget the charger voltage issue...some chargers are designed only for the country purchased in. You'll have to check your charger to see what input voltage it is rated for...if it just says it's in the 110-130 range, it's only for North American use. If it says it's in the 110-240 range, then it can be used overseas (most these days are autoswitching, but read the manual to see if there is a voltage switch)...the only thing you would then need is a plug adapter to convert it from the flat pins to the type of plug used in the country you're going to.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 1:42 PM   #4
TC3

I heard somewhere that models in Europe can normally output to NTSC or PAL but most models in USA can only output to NTSC.

TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 4:36 PM   #5

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
I heard somewhere that models in Europe can normally output to NTSC or PAL but most models in USA can only output to NTSC.
In the past cameras used to be localized...NTSC only or PAL only depending on what part of the world you buy the camera in...these days most cameras have both video standards for companies to save money in circuit board design and parts.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote