Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 27, 2004, 6:31 PM   #1

Hello,

I have a Toshiba PDR 3300. From what I have read everyone else who owns one is having just as many problems as I am. My camera will turn on, and get ready to take a picture and then when I press the shutter button down to snap the picture... nothing happens. A green steady light comes on. According to the mannual this means that the AE or AF is locked. Fine if that is the case, but the mannual does not say how to unlock it. If anyone has any suggestions on what I should do please let me know before I throw this thing out the window :?!

Thank You,

Kimberlina
Kimberlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2004, 8:46 PM   #2
Administrator

Kimberlina:

I just read your post in the Toshiba forum, too. I'm wondering if your power-on procedure could be messing something up (needing to press and hold the flash button at the same time).

It sounds like you may not have enough power in your batteries (or something related to that) for the camera to correctly power-on (your procedure could be bypassing the power check the camera normally performs).

Are you using high capacity NiMH Rechargeable Batteries? Alkalines are not suitable to taking pictures in most models. Even your owners manual mentions that they are only supplied for a check of camera operation.

See this article on batteries:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

A steady green light just means that the camera has focus lock (it is focused on your subject). This is just an indicator that lets you know that it is OK to take a picture.

Most cameras have a similar feature. When you press the shutter button half way down, the camera will focus (and let you know when it's finished with the steady green light). Then, when you press the shutter button down the rest of the way, it takes the picture.

Because many Digital Cameras can take much longer than film cameras to focus, it's usually a good idea to "half press" the shutter button first on your subject to give the camera time to focus, then press it the rest of the way down at the perfect moment for taking the photo.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 7:47 AM   #3

Hi Jim, thank you for responding to my post.

The power on procedure has been working for me for a while now. Ever since it has been the only way I can get my camera on. If I dont hold the flash down when I turn on the power, the only thing that turns on is the same steady green light, and I can not take a picture. (oh, and I have the hi powered batteries)

When I am trying to take a picture, the green light just stays on and the picture dont snap, and the only reason I mentioned the AE or AF lock thing, is becaue it was the only solution in the mannual. If this is normal, can you think of any thing else that could be the problem?

Thank you for your help.

Kimberlina
Kimberlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 9:17 AM   #4
Administrator

Kimberlina:

If you need to hold down the flash button for your camera to power on, then something is wrong.

Have you tried moving all switches, pressing all buttons, etc., to make sure that you don't have some oxidation in a switch contact causing the problem?

You may also want to try a different memory card if you have one. Also, make sure it is formatted using the camera menus (not the PC). In addition, make sure the write protect switch is not in the locked position on the card.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote