Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 28, 2004, 10:09 AM   #1

Hi,

I have a Fuji FinePix 6900. A little while back I bought an inexpensive 2x telephoto lens by Opteka. I know it's a cheap lens and the quality is probably not great, but I wanted to try it out to see if I wanted to get something really good. The lens works great for bringing in content. I am really happy with how far I can zoom now.

The only problem is that the pictures I'm taking while using this lens are really sharp in the middle, but get blurry and a bit distorted around the edges. I've searched all over the 'net for some help, but can't find anything, so I'm hoping someone here can help. Is this blurred effect just the nature of this type of telephoto lens? Is it the quality of this lens? Or is there something I could do to the camera settings to make it work better? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'd really like a good solution for adding to the camera's zoom.

Thanks!
hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:16 AM   #2

Hambone -

Not a stupid question. If we don't ask questions, we don't continue to learn.

The question at hand - your 2x telephoto lens by Opteka and blurry / distorted edges? Unfortunately, that's from the quality of the lens. This is a common complaint from what I have read here and on other www digital photo forums. Can you fix this? Not that I'm aware of but hopefully some other folks here might be able to give you a solution or two to try.

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:30 AM   #3

Unfortunately when you buy cheap stuff you get bad results. Of course if you had asked here first we would have warned you off the Opteka.

On the other hand, here's a very good brand of lenses from Raynox including a good quality 2.2x...on this page the lenses are shown what they look like on the 6900, and if you click on the lens you will be taken to sample pictures taken with your camera with the lens on and off so you can compare the difference:
http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/egfuji6900z.htm

I personally use their DCR-6600Pro .66x wide angle and have found it to be one of the best on the market due to its lack of barrel distortion at such a wide angle.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 1:04 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses guys. I really appreciate it. I knew I was getting a cheap piece of equipment, but for the price it was worth finding out if it was something I wanted to spend more money on better stuff later. I was more concerned about spending a couple hundred dollars and getting bad results, such as this vignetting. As it is now, I've learned enough to get excited about what I can do with this camera.

Thanks for the link, Mike. Checking it out now.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 9:34 PM   #5

Hello Hambone;

I've only been at this a short time, but have learned a lot from forum members like Mike. Nonetheless, it is always important to try equipment out for yourself. Hopefully your dealer will let you try a new lens before you part with your money. Unfortunately, many stores cannot do this; they would end up with thousands of dollars of unusable stock. In cases like that , it is often best to check the opinions of people like our Mike, and if the deal sounds right, go for it.

I bought my wide-angle lens sight unseen, based solely on the reviews I saw posted here. On the other hand, I tried out three telephotos before I was willing to buy, and the one I actually bought was the one that was recommended here.

All this to say you're in the right place for helpful suggestions.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 10:00 PM   #6

I can understand your concern about vignetting, but it's really a minor concern vs. when compared to uniform sharpness...it's a much easier fix to crop a little vignetting.

Vignetting usually happens when you:

1) put on a converter lens of smaller diameter than your camera's lens.
2) using a teleconverter with the camera set to wide.

There's other situations, but I can't remember them now.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 10:42 PM   #7

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
I can understand your concern about vignetting, but it's really a minor concern vs. when compared to uniform sharpness...it's a much easier fix to crop a little vignetting.

Vignetting usually happens when you:

1) put on a converter lens of smaller diameter than your camera's lens.
2) using a teleconverter with the camera set to wide.

There's other situations, but I can't remember them now.

Being a fairly amateur photographer, I don't mess with a lot of the settings on my camera. I'm pretty sure there's a good possibility my cam is set to wide. I need to check that. This 6900 takes great pics for me, and the telephoto lens is my first shot at upgrading it. I really like the look of the Raynox you spoke of. I'm in the Dallas, TX, area, so I'm going to try to find a store that carries them, so I can look at them in person. I can definitely crop the vignetting out of these pics. Other than that, the sharpness is pretty decent for what I paid, but I'll be ready to move up soon. Thanks again for the help, Mike and everyone else.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 4:51 AM   #8

Many of us can speak from personal experiences with bad lenses. When I was still green I got a Canon .7x wide angle lens for my camera, and it was just not compatible with it. In every picture which was at the wide end, the lens would cause the picture to curve like a fisheye, and I had to correct every picture I took with that lens:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...ide/barrel.jpg

That's the reason why I love the Raynox DCR-6600Pro for wide angle (it's even better then their own .72x) and recommend them...there is no visible barrel distortion.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 7:49 AM   #9

hambone wrote:
Quote:
... really sharp in the middle, but get blurry and a bit distorted around the edges. ...
As many have said, that is to be expected from a cheap add-on lens. All might not be lost though - you can trade resolution against quality in two ways.

Crop the middle part of the image or use your camera's digital zoom (I'd prefer cropping). That will give you a sharp image at lower resolution.

Downsize the image. That will "avarage" adacent pixels and cut down on the problems at the edges.

Then test to see if the add-on lens is worth using is to compare those results with a cropped (lower resolution) image of the same subject taken without the add-on. The cheap add-on *might* still be worth using for lower resolution shots.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 8:09 AM   #10

Thanks again for all the tips!