Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 17, 2002, 4:45 PM   #1
s

Default Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 or Nikon Coolpix 4500

Hello,i wanted to ask which digital camera to buy ,
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 or Nikon Coolpix 4500 .
Im new to photography and this will be my first cam.
I've read pretty much reviews on those two but still i am unsure which one to buy .
What i want to do with it ? I think , both indoor and outdoor and also close-ups(macros).

thank you
s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2002, 5:01 PM   #2

Default Considerations...

The choice may depend on what you do the most with photography.

The Sony will focus better in low light as long as you are close enough to allow the focus aid lamp to function. It also has a faster lens, and "may" produce a slightly crisper image out-of-camera.

The Nikon has ISO capabilities to ISO 800 which somewhat offsets the Sony's faster lens. The CP4500 "will" have better macro capabilities and has many more peripherals available. Metering is much more extensive on the Nikon and overall it's a considerably more versatile tool.

You will be limited to a maximum of around a 2X tele converter for telephoto work with the Sony. It "may" work with a 5x teleconverter, but even with this you would be limited to a maximum of about 15X.

With the Nikon you will be able to do both digiscoping to around 6000mm by shooting through the lens of a spotting scope and also shoot through the eyepiece of a light microscope for nearly unlimited ultra macro use.

In all, the Nikon will be more versatile while the Sony might produce slightly sharper images for everyday use.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2002, 4:44 AM   #3
s

thank you,

i bought the sony.
s is offline   Reply With Quote