Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 15, 2004, 4:27 AM   #1

Greetings,

After weeks of deliberating, i've decided upon purchasing a Fuji 5100 (butterflyphoto/$310). This will be my first digital camera. My Canon SLR will be retired for the trip.

Have there been any threads on inspecting a new purchase (make sure it's not a lemon)? I looked but did not find any.

Next decision to make: how many sets of AA batteries should i bring along for maximum time away from power, without going overboard for the 80% of time that i'll have access to AC. I'm hoping to find a solar AA charger but haveread somewhere the smaller ones don't work too well. I'm hoping to hear otherwise.

And then:....I'm considering bringing along an Apacer Discsteno CP2OO for an extended journey in Asia. However, with carry bag and accessories the CD burner alone is close to 5 pounds. Has anyone brought along an item like this and regretted it? The option is to invest in xD cards and just keep an eye out for photo centers.

Thanks,

Shawn

shawnzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2004, 8:56 AM   #2

Before your trip give yourself a month to practice with the camera, get to learn every feature, learn about its limitations. Former SLR users think the digicam will be easier to use due to all the electronics, but digicams are more complicated and more finicky. Also get used to the focusing issues http://www.howstuffworks.com/autofocus3.htm especially in lower light situations. Also learn the limits of the Auto Focus Assist Illuminator, how many feet you can get out of that...and also learn how to use manual focus.

Doing all these tests will check out the camera while you are learning how to use it.

As for batteries, on a trip I might take three sets of high capacity (2000mAh or higher) AAs (at home I have four). One thing about the battery issue, if you go to a country that has a different voltage than yours you'll have to get a charger that is multi-voltage capable, or buy an inexpensive one with the proper voltage when you reach your destination (you could also use voltage changers, but personally I don't trust the cheap ones).

And like I said, buy your camera at least a month in advance of your trip, not only to give yourself the needed amount of time so you're not flipping through manuals on your trip, but also time to swap the camera if there is a problem (personally I bought from a local store so I wouldn't have to worry about shipping delays). Also, suggest you head to resellerratings.com before dealing with a company you never dealt with before, here's Butterfly's page:
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller4576.html
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 7:14 PM   #3

Thanks ,

Sounds like good advice. I'll check out that autofocus site. I'm taking a HiMd minidisc recorder by sony and the cardreader $200+$100 and i'm mobile.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 6:17 PM   #4

Remember, you have to carry extra CD's to burn to along with all of that stuff.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 7:53 AM   #5

The Sony HiMD card reader attachment to thier new minidisc recorders looks really interesting. With each MD holding about a Gb of data you can have, theoretically, unlimited storage and STILL save a disc for your tunes!

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 7:53 PM   #6

that is correct. the discs currently cost $6-7 dollars and can be found at best buy.com and maybe circuit city but not many other places right now.

you can store music and data on the same disc. i got 2.5gigss of transfer per set of maha 800 AAA batteries. however, a 500Mb card takes almost 25 minutes to transfer and then about 10 to upload from disc to computer.

anybody wanting to know more about this please let me know

shawn

[email protected]