Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 15, 2004, 5:00 PM   #1

Hi I was wondering which resolution setting is best to use with a Canon A75 if I want prints using a service such as Ofoto? I don't know what DPI setting Ofoto printers use but I would want 4X6s mostly and 8X10s also. A follow up question I also have is, is it always best the use the highest res setting and do post-shoot work to format the picture to my desired print size, or work with 1600X1200 when I know I want 4X6 and use max setting for all else? Sorry if this is a repeat question :?

Sam
spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2004, 9:41 PM   #2
Administrator

I always shoot in the highest resolution my model supports. You never know when you'll get a great shot that you want to print at larger sizes, and memory cards are very inexpensive now.

As far as what resolution to send a printer, it doesn't hurt to send them a higher resolution file.

Of course, you will probably want to crop your images for the print sizes you want. Each print size will have a different aspect ratio (ratio of width to height). So, if you don't crop them first, you may end up with images that are cropped in a way that you don't like.

For example, after cropping for the correct aspect ratio,you could send them a 2048 x 1365 pixel image for a 4x6" print; or a 2048 x 1463 pixel image for a 5x7" print; or a 1920 x 1536 pixel image for an 8x10" print.

Someprint services have online cropping tools now. Some also offer "Digital Size" prints (so that you don't have to worry about cropping at all).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 10:40 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply Jim. Since I ordered a 512MB CF card I don't think I have to worry about using the highest res setting - at least not yet :-) Unlike plain old film I guess I have to get used to doing some post-shoot work.
Old Oct 16, 2004, 11:18 AM   #4
Administrator

spark wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your reply Jim. Since I ordered a 512MB CF card I don't think I have to worry about using the highest res setting - at least not yet :-) Unlike plain old film I guess I have to get used to doing some post-shoot work.
Well, even with film you still have to worry about cropping (or the film processor will crop it for you in non 4x6" sizes).

With 35mm film, onlya 4x6" print will require no cropping. Cropping for other sizes will stillbe needed.

Here is a handy chart that shows frame utilization with different aspect ratios:

http://home.earthlink.net/~terryleed....htm#frameutil

Many image editors can give you a crop box with the correct aspect ratio after you select a desired print size. Although, you can calculate it yourself.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 5:02 PM   #5

I use a Canon Digital Rebel and I almost always shoot at the higest resolution or in RAW Mode. However, I have recently discvered I can shoot a medium resolution and still get great 8x10's.

As it pertains to cropping, no way around it for 8x10's. I have learned to adjust for cropping in my image viewer when I shoot.

I use Ofot and snap fish quite a bit. I always crop first if I know I want 4x6 or 8x10, for Larger sizes I send the full file.

Also, I have learned to shoot in the camera and not rely upon post processing (except to crop).
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 3:15 AM   #6

Why not just print 8x12 instead?

That way, if you decide you want to crop at some point, you can do it easily with a straight edge and a sharp blade.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 8:18 AM   #7

The reason I don't use an 8X12 print is Ofoto, the printing service I use doesn't offer it. After a couple of thousand test shots and printing up to 8X10s I can say that using the highest resolution setting and cropping for your desired composition is the best way for me - although I have to think about cropping when taking shots the added resolution and options in printing size outweighs any negative.

Sam
Old Oct 29, 2004, 12:28 PM   #8

I still end up getting annoyed by the difference in print sizes to the photos coming out of my camera. The picture is usually framed perfectly (in my opinion at least ) exactly how I took it, and having to crop before printing means I invariably lose something I want to keep in the shot. What I usually end up doing now is the time consuming process of adding a black border to one side of the image in photoshop, so I get the full image, but not quite taking up the whole of the paper, and then trimming the border off with a craft knife.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 5:02 AM   #9

I think that, within a year or so, we'll be seeing a switch to print sizes that correspond to digital images without the need to crop.

There are already someprint shopsthat have started doing this.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote