Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 22, 2004, 5:16 PM   #11

Thanks to everyone for your input. I've been ordering items online for years and am very comfortable with the process, but I think in this case I'm going to try to buy it from a brick and mortar store in my neighborhood, but use the web pricing to try to convince them to lower their price a bit. Don't need to match completely, but at least knock a few bucks off. Or maybe bundle a memory card or throw in a case. Gives me the camera instantly, physical place to return if any defects or problems show up, and keeps the local economy moving. Going for a camera store, as the big box retailer floor sales guys have no authority over price. I'll let you know how it works out.

Best,

Alex
Chocochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 7:02 PM   #12

Well, found a compromise. Ended up buying from Circuit City's website with same day pickup at the local Circuit City store. Price was a bit better than the in-store price, didn't have to wait for shipping and no shipping charges. Benefit of having a real store to return to in case of any problems, instant gratification from pickup today.

Tried going to a brick and mortar Ritz Camera store and got zero help from the counter "dude". Hourly employee with no authority to move on price, and the Ritz bundle of coupons and a free photo lesson wasn't worth the extra price.

Final price for the DSC-P150 was $474.99 on circuitcity.com ($25 off list). Also got a SanDisk Memory Stick Pro 512 MB for $104.99 less $15 mail in rebate ($89 total price).

The combo between online ordering to save a few bucks and same day pick up in store was great. Also didn't have to deal with any sales guys.
Chocochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 7:46 PM   #13

Hi,

I have had great experience with newegg.com. They have best customer service and return policy. They also have the highest rating on reselleratings.com. Hope that helps.
Frogsleap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 1:22 PM   #14

I had very good experiences with Dell.com. My P150 was $450 - free shipping- I ordered it a Sunday and got it Tuesday mid-morning.

This is the second sony I buy from them
El_Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 1:25 PM   #15

Chocochef wrote:
Quote:
Well, found a compromise.* Ended up buying from Circuit City's website with same day pickup at the local Circuit City store.* Price was a bit better than the in-store price, didn't have to wait for shipping and no shipping charges.* Benefit of having a real store to return to in case of any problems, instant gratification from pickup today.

Tried going to a brick and mortar Ritz Camera store and got zero help from the counter "dude".* Hourly employee with no authority to move on price, and the Ritz bundle of coupons and a free photo lesson wasn't worth the extra price.

Final price for the DSC-P150 was $474.99 on circuitcity.com ($25 off list).* Also got a SanDisk Memory Stick Pro 512 MB for $104.99 less $15 mail in rebate ($89 total price).*

The combo between online ordering to save a few bucks and same day pick up in store was great.* Also didn't have to deal with any sales guys.
Well done! Enjoy!
El_Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote