Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 13, 2002, 8:20 PM   #1
njb

Default Help Needed Copying Slides To Digital Images

I recently bought a digital camera and love it (Olympus Ultra Zoom 720). The problem is that I have about a thousand slides from my old SLR camera days and would like to see what cost effective options there are to copy them into digital images. My local camera store charges half a lung to transfer slides to digital images.

Are there dedicated slide copiers that can be plugged into USB ports?

I know that there are scanners but which ones will maintain the sharpness of the slides?

Nikon has an adapter that fits over their digital cameras but it does not fit on Olympus models.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

njb
njb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2002, 1:03 AM   #2

mostly all slide scanners will maintain a high quality image. you have to decide how high you want to go

the Nikon coolscan 4000ED is considered to be the closest thing to a drum scanner today. at an average 65MB per image the fine grain of kodachrome can still be seen.

price in the $1500 catagory

it runs into a firewire port. the pci adapter card is included.

if your looking at a flatbed scanner with a transpareny adapter you will be disappointed with the results.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2002, 10:39 AM   #3

I have a Minolta Scan Dual II which costs abot $300 online. I've started scannind old slides from 40 years ago & printed some 4 x 6's to give to people,. The prints so far have been ok but not great, i.e. loss of detail in the hair but, otherwise clear and colorful...Harvey
ltdedorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2002, 1:22 PM   #4

Sounds daft but a friend of mine snaps a picture from his projector screen and I can vouch the results are pretty good.

David
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 1:06 PM   #5
njb

Thank you all for your responses.

I am new at this, so please be patient with me.

My original intent was to copy my slides into a digital library so that I could:
1. Be able to edit and manipulate the originals.
2. Use my TV instead of a slide projector fo viewing with friends.
3. Get prints made from the digital originals.

It sounds more cost effective for me to get a medium priced scanner, such as the Minolta Scan Dual II for items 1. and 2., while still using the slides as negatives to take care of item 3., since a higher quality scanner is still pretty expensive and the files would require *ALOT* of storage space.

"...average 65MB per image...."

Why are the filesizes so enourmous? I thought a slide would only be about 100 to 300 kb after being scanned in jpg format.

What do you think of this strategy?

njb
njb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2002, 10:40 AM   #6

njb

The large file size you mentioned is probably for a bmp file. With the Minolta, you can save in bmp, jpg or tiff & I usually save in jpg with medium compression for most images and low compresssion for stuff like group pics where i want the crispness and color variation. My file sizes in those case runs from 1 to 6 MB, depending on my setup.

Good luck...Harvey
ltdedorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2002, 11:22 AM   #7

actually they're TIFF. the reason i don't use jpg was the same reason i originally shot slides-Quality of image. if you are trying to maintain image quality for printing larger prints the jpg is less than useable. the compression loss will show up under certain circumstances. also if yuor archiving these images jpg is not the way to go.

since it you mention your viewing on TV instead of a projector its also good. TV is low resolution so compression losses really won't show there.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 11:26 AM   #8

realize that a slide image carries the equivelent of a 25+ MP digital camera image. lots of stuff to compress.