Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 25, 2004, 1:10 PM   #1

I've been approached by a local surf shop who have seen my photos on my pbase. They want to buy an image off me to use for logos and t-shirts.
At first the owner wanted to buy the copyright off me but i said i was'nt too keen on selling the image outright.
Was this the right thing to do?
How much shall i charge?

The same shop owner is also one of the main men for a major surf clothing company that sponsors surf competitions in the uk.
Should i take this into consideration? ie. asking for possible press passes for future events as part of the deal.

I've never sold any of my images like this before and i'm over the moon that i've got this opportunity.

I told the shop owner i would be in touch within the next couple of days so at least that will give me the chance to ask some of you wise old monkeys on what to do. :-)

Many thanks
Mike
Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2004, 11:45 PM   #2

I think that you did the right thing by not selling the copyright.

How much you should charge is a very difficult question, and one that I can not answer. I don't know what the market is like there for that subject or that area.

You might try to find others who sell their images and see what they charge. Go to shops that sell post cards and look at who took the picture and then try to find out more about them. They might have a web site and sell stuff that way.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 11:52 PM   #3

DONT SELL COPYRIGHT!!

if you do, your basicly skrewing yourself...register you picture with the copyright office!

also, i have a interesting video you can watch, by rick rickman, hang on and ill find it
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 11:54 PM   #4

here:

http://www.sportsshooter.com/special...biz/index.html

listen to this guy
Old Oct 26, 2004, 2:15 AM   #5

well i'd be a bit cheeky and not sell the pics, BUT i'd ask for maybe a small percentage of the comission on the t-shirts for using the picture, that way you get at least something depending on how many t-shirts got sold etc

Grant

hmmmmm thinking bout that.....the question that just came to my mind is..... "IS IT LEGAL DOING IT THAT WAY?...... dunno really...just a thought
picnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 2:01 PM   #6

Take a page from actors. Sell the "usage" of the images, but also require a back end % deal from all merchandise sold with the image.

Actors do this all of the time when movie makers create games, action figures, t-shirts, etc. from characters they play in movies.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 4:56 PM   #7

Well thanks all for your feedback so far.
I'm pretty sure that i'm gonna offer him the image with just once off rights. ie.Sell the image for a limited time for a one off fee but retaining copyright so i can still use it within limitations.
Of course no matter what he uses it for i still want full accreditations.

Now the hard bit, how much do i charge??
He wants to make the image into very large prints and logos to promote his business.
Any ideas?? Price??

Thanks again
Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 5:25 PM   #8

lol i can't help you hear...

but i'm interested in wat you should charge too!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 5:48 PM   #9

well, last time i tried to sugjest this software, this happened.... http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...189190#p189190

but here it is anyway, http://www.fotoquote.com/

i hope it doesent happen again....

quoth the raven, "nevermore"

Brad

btw, in case you didnt get that^, its a line from the raven by edger allen poe, and im trying to say that i probably shouldnt sugjest that product again, but, i will try to help...

Old Oct 27, 2004, 7:04 PM   #10

fotoquote is quite useful, they have a standalone trial download of it without fotobiz and the softwarewill get you into the ballpark for pricing most usages.

Also adjusts for most countries currency. It is also more current than most, I also have a pricing module in NSCSpro 3.0 and in another studio management package but they don'tkeep the prices current with updates.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote