Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:44 PM   #11
Administrator

The Doctor wrote:
Quote:
Paint Shop Pro won't do RAW. But, if you have a camera that takes RAW pictures, you should get software to at least open and save it in J-Peg format in the camera software. I have been teaching Digital Photography for about 4 years and use all the major aps. I would not recommend Paint Shop Pro to a beginner. It is a very good program, but it has too many settings for a beginner and, there is a poor availability of books to learn from.
Actually, Paintshop Pro Version 9 will handle some RAW files now.JASC alsohas some good tutorials online for it and it performs many basic functions easily (cropping, redeye correction, sharpening, etc.).It's also got some pretty neat new features (for example: Fill Flash, CA Reduction, Noise Reduction).

You can see the features added in Version 9 here (and you can download a trial version to see how it works):

http://www.jasc.com/products/paintshoppro/nfeature1.asp?

Here are the cameras they've added RAW support for so far:

http://www.jasc.com/support/kb/viewr...amp;AN=PSP9001

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 8:30 AM   #12

I did not know PSP 9 did limited RAW. Elements 3 does much more. I would still stand by the fact that the books available for PSP aren't very good and the books for Elements 3 are exceptional. Yes you can get basic tutorials on line and even a course for PSP, but it won't teach you near the extra things that the Elements books will. Try looking at 50 Fast Digital Camera Techniques by Gregory Georges for a start. Go to any Barnes and Noble and just look at the PSP books. They are basically expanded indexes. Then look at the number and depth of books for Elements. I would still pick Elements for a beginner over PSP.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:05 AM   #13

Thanks everyone for the information. I downloaded Gimp (which I found to be confusing and not easy to use) and PSP. I like PSP - a lot- and am seriously thinking about buying it, but I am also in the process of downloading Photo Elements 3 to check it out.

I am looking for software that is easy to use, effective from the very start of my learning curve, and that can handle my more demanding needs as I grow as a photographer. In other words, I'm not interested in buying software that I will outgrow in 6 months to a year.

So, of PSP and Photo Elements, which one do y'all think will be best at handling my needs a year from now?

Thanks again for any feedback you can provide- it's been very helpfulto me.
basquedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 4:25 PM   #14

Before you buy either one, go to a good bookstore and look at the number of books for Elements. Also, if you get a lot better, it would be an easier shift to CS.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 8:37 PM   #15

No photo editor with much power is going to be easy to use. You will trip over all of the options and get confused. Easy to use is not a real good criteria if you are looking for power.

The difficult thing to figure out is what you want to do with the photo. Contrast adustment? Saturation? Curve? Level? Perspective adjustment? When to use layers? Adjustment layers (is that in the crippled version of PhotoShop?)? Once you know what you want to do, it really isn't that hard to figure out how to do it with any program you pick - unless it is crippled to badly.

Simply put, Adobe has a reason to cripple Elements. Jasc/Correl has a reason to produce a program that can do everything PhotoShop does, if it can. For that reason I'd bet on PaintShop Pro being the more powerfull program, albeit with fewer good reference works.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 7:23 PM   #16

Photoshop Elements 3 is a major upgrade from Elements 2. View some of the tutorials on this page.
http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com...ips/index.php#
:|
Old Nov 26, 2004, 1:36 PM   #17

Does Paint Shop Pro 9 require "activation"? IE:
1. install program
2. send information produced by program to JASC
3. get unlock key that unlocks it for this hardware configuration only.

I asked this in the Software/editors section, but it only got 15 views and no answer. I rarely keep the same exact hardware configuration for more than 6 months or so, plus what do you do when the company is no longer supplying new activation keys and your hardware changes? I am still using Paint Shop Pro 4 that I bought somewhere around 3 whole computers ago, but now need something with more capability.

Also: Does it support color profiles?
segbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 10:20 PM   #18

personally, i think that the photoshop elements is "more" suited for the novice which seems a bit more intuitive.

however, for those "newbies" out there, these are all powerful programs so you must take the time to learn its basics. once you have those down, the rest will come together.
as for RAW processing. for me, i use the software that came with my camera then save as .tif file to play with in my photoshop or elements.

- for noise reduction. i use neatimage. its simple enough.

read the tutorials. you'll learn a lot!!

berto
berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 11:02 AM   #19

I looked at the Camera RAW function in both Elements and PSP. Elements has lot more settings than PSP.