Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 27, 2004, 8:48 AM   #1

Brand new to digital cameras (received an Fuji A340 as a gift) and I was wondering, is there a rough guide out there anyone can point me to for basic settings for a variety of situations.

For example, what settings should one use for a nighttime picture, an indoor picture, an overcast outdoor picture, etcetera.

I realize I will have to experiment with different situations and settings but, well I'm lazy and there are so many settings on that damn camera <:

Any help would be appreciated.

Dallas
D Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2004, 10:15 AM   #2

If you know something about basic photography, there is no substitute for reading the manual.

If you don't know basic photogrpahy, get any beginner's book from your library. Doesn't matter if it refers to digital or not - an f/stop is an f/stop, and shutter speed is shutter speed. Settings like contrast, white balance, contrast, ... are analogous to selecting the kind of film to use. Experiment with them.

There is no help available for being lazy.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 12:11 PM   #3

The thing with camera manuals are like the manuals you get with a new car...they teach you the controls but don't teach you how to drive. A good place to start is http://209.196.177.41/ which will teach you the basics.

Photography is a skill like any other...you can learn some basics and get snapshots, or continue to improve your knowledge and the quality of photos you take; after many years I still try to improve my knowledge by reading books and attending seminars and workshops...the best thing to do is to practice shooting.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 12:20 PM   #4

Mikefellh, good analogy. I'll definintely have to remember that one. Clear and easy to understand.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 6:57 PM   #5

Thanks for the link - most appreciated.

D Parker is offline   Reply With Quote