Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:24 PM   #11

I guess I did do a bit of shouting. maflynn, I wasn't shouting at you, but in frustration with reviewers and marketeers who make a big thing about zoom factor. I can understand using it in features lists to cut down space, but not in headlines or reviews.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 9:06 PM   #12

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
I guess I did do a bit of shouting. maflynn, I wasn't shouting at you, but in frustration with reviewers and marketeers who make a big thing about zoom factor.
I missed the zoom factor, magnification from my first thread.

I'm not at the point of knowing what to ask. I picked up some camera magazines and I'm just trying to absorb it all.

Buying the P&S digital camera started me down the path, and I've really enjoyed taking pictures with my D70.

Regards
Mike
maflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 9:54 PM   #13

/me would like a > 1000mm focal length with a < F/2.0 aperture, with a fairly noise free 5 megapixel image at ISO 400 in a Canon S1IS or Panasonic FZ3-size camera for the price that the S1IS was when it was newly introduced, but I have yet to find anything.

As for taking low light pics with a non-SLR, are there any current cameras with an F/1.8 or larger aperture at wideangle, or 3 megapixels on a 1/1.8" sensor for example?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 2:14 AM   #14

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
I guess I did do a bit of shouting. maflynn, I wasn't shouting at you, but in frustration with reviewers and marketeers who make a big thing about zoom factor. I can understand using it in features lists to cut down space, but not in headlines or reviews.
Well, several of the upper replies were trying to say the same thing without success. I think Bill's "bold" statement got through. ;-)
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 8:20 PM   #15

maflynn ... I'm not at the point of knowing what to ask. I picked up some camera magazines and I'm just trying to absorb it all.
...[/quote]
The most important thing to figure out is exposure: f/stop, shutter speed and ISO. They are to tighly intertwined to be able to understand one of them without an understanding of the other two. Once you have some understanding of that (I am not sure anyone understands all of it), look at other issues like white balance, contrast, saturation, sharpness, ...

Spend your study time reading some books - the photo magazines will have little brief (sometimes good, sometimes not) articles, but those will be burried in the advertisments and the WOW-WOW of the latest new gadget. And missleading headlines about nonsense like zoom factors.

Spend some time in art galleries. Study photos that appeal to you. How were they made? How was the subject lit?

Most important, have fun with your photography.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 9:56 PM   #16

And if you don't want to buy the books on photography, go check out your local library. Many have good book on it. And don't worry if it doesn't talk about digital photography. All the things BillDrew listed are the same with film and digital (ok, maybe ISO isn't the same... the quality of higher ISOs are better with a good digital camera whereas film with higher ISOs are very noisey.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote