Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 16, 2002, 5:52 PM   #1

Default Wants A Bargain DigiCam For Record-Keeping

One of my co-workers is looking for an inexpensive digicam. I'm helping him out, because he has a computer/scanner/printer, but is not online.

High pixel count is NOT a requirement. It need not be new, but must be in good working order. Any software required by the camera should be relatively simple to get/use. He wants to record his belongings for insurance purposes, and take a few pics to document family histories. His budget is between $100--$250.

Is he dreaming? Any suggestions?
La Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2002, 8:24 AM   #2
lg

Default Try Olympus D-510 or D-520

You can find a refurbished D-510 for about 160-$200. The D-520 is 30% smaller, uses only 2 batteries as opposed to 4, and is the current production model. You should be able to get it for around $200. Both take excellent pictures, are easy to use, and are compact. Check out CNET Shopper for current prices.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2002, 9:06 AM   #3

You can purchase a refurb Olympus camera from their web site with a 90 day warranty. The link is: https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...ub_category=22
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 10:46 AM   #4

Thanks guys!!

I printed out your posts, the site reviews on these cameras, and the sales listings for them. Charlie is now reading the material, and making his decision. I REALLY appreciate your help on this issue.

Now I hope to be able to get him to pop for an internet connection. He's still nervous about it. :lol:
La Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 4:24 PM   #5

Dear La Bunny:
Some warnings for happy charlie:
1. Refurbished camera usually have only a 90 warrenty. You have to check to see whose warrenty it is (store or manufacturer). I often buy refurbished but ....
2. You will also soon need a karger compact flash card and probably rechargable batteries. A good place at the moment is from www.pcmall.com which has a kingston 128mb CF card (pretty big)
3. Another website with pricelistings is pricegrabber. Try:
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...412cbd930ff7b1
a d-520 refurb for $150. There are a coule of other listing sites and some that specialize in refurbished stuff (gotta surf the web. Try saearch with GOOGLE).
4. Pay good attention in CNET or pricegrabber etc to the store ratings. Especially refurb you can get into endless hassles. Look for a well rated store with a lot of reviews, maybe even read some. I learned the hard way.
5. Enjoy the camera and post us some pics!
plschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2002, 11:59 AM   #6

If zoom and pixel count is not important he should be able to get a low end HP for under $100. Other manufacturers will have prices near that (Fuji -$149 (though you can find it cheaper)). If MP and zoom are important, I would suggest the HP 620 or may be the one of the Fujis, I do not remember the model # though....
tjuhnke is offline   Reply With Quote