Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 18, 2002, 1:55 AM   #1

Default First Digital Camera - Kyocera S3x vs Kodak DX3900 or Other?

Dear all

I am about to take the plunge into the world or digital photography and would like some advice on which camera.
I am looking for a 3M pixel camera with optical zoom for use taking general photos plus some of the outdoors (sailing etc).

I have used the Kodak DX3900 and was very impressed by its capabilities even though it may be a little large. I have also seen the Kyocera S3x which looks and feels very nice, but could anyone advise me on how sensitive it is (the Kyocera is only given ISO 64, 125, 250 vs the Kodak with 100, 200, 400).

General advice or feelings on these 2 cameras would be appreciated as would recomendations for other cameras of a similar spec.

Thanks

John
jdpuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2002, 6:59 AM   #2

Quote:
the Kyocera is only given ISO 64, 125, 250 vs the Kodak with 100, 200, 400
Often, but not always, the highest ISO advertised for a camera is pretty much useless. If low light is important to you, comparing the the aperature (f/stop) and noise levels is more important than ISO. Since there isn't a universal measure of noise, that means reading a few detailed reviews.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2002, 2:03 PM   #3

Default Kyocera

Hi
I have just bought the Kyocera S3x.
I have a problem with a 64MB Sandisk memory .
The panasonic disk supplied with the camera works fine.
It will not format Sandisk flash.I contacted the UK after sales dept, and it looks like I will have to post the camera to Kyocera Corporation to rectify the problem.

Beware !!

CJ
colin jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2002, 2:34 PM   #4

I would recommend the Olympus C3000. It is 3.4 mp, 3x optical zoom, you can also use polarizing filters with this camera. You will need to purchase a tube for the filters. Tube and filter are about $25.00 at www.2filter.com. If you are planning to shoot sail boating events then the polarizing filter will help with the water glare. You can purchase the Oly C3000 refub directly from Olympus. Go to this web site for the Olympus factory refurb: https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...ub_category=22
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2002, 12:29 PM   #5

Generally refurb equipment isn't worth it. You save some money, but at the price of a much shorter warranty, and the promise of more trouble than average.

Incidentally, for a few bucks more than what you'd pay for a refurbed C-3000 from Olympus you can get a new C-4000 from a place like buydig. A better camera and a much better deal at about $370. But that's not in the same price range as the two cams you mentioned.

Before you buy, make sure you're going to be happy with the amount of zoom you're getting. For outdoors you'll wish you had more, most likely. If you have the cash, consider the Olympus C-730 (10x optical) for about $450 or the slightly larger Fuji S602 (6x) for about $500.

Here's a handy list of reviews:

http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_V...ras/alpha.html

Good luck.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2002, 6:31 PM   #6

If you read the reviews of many of the members, they have purchased refurb equipment. I would only purchased a refurb that carried a warranty from the manufactor.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 11:52 AM   #7

I've read many comments from those who have purchased refurbs, some happy and some not. It's a matter of increased risk in trade for some savings, often not really great savings that one repair would more than wipe out. The manufacturer's warranty on refurbed camera equipment is almost always much shorter than the original warranty, which probably indicates something about how much confidence the manufacturer has in the product. When the warranty is the same as the original (as with my iBook, for example), then I suppose you can count on the product as much as a new one.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote