Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 22, 2006, 4:56 PM   #11

MMB916 wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,

This is great info. I don't have a SLR - I bought the Sony T30 and it seems that some of these books will work for novices of all types.

Also, would you recommend any magazines worth subscribing to for novices for digital photography but haven't quite graduated yet to the SLR?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Mara
Hello Mara,

Actually there is a magazine aimed at the novice called Amateur Photographer (http://www.amateurphotographer.com). Should be readily available at your local magazine shop. Take a peek and see if it's what you're looking for.

Also, most photography magazines do devote an article or two in each issue for the novice. Or tips that can be used by any one with a camera. As they have to reach a wider audience.

I think there's only one magazine aimed solely at the pro. Called what else but "Professional Photographer" (http://www.ppmag.com). Not too original are they? But I suppose it does catch one's eye more easily when scaning the many different photography magazines on the stands.

I have a Sony DSC-H1. Was thinking of the T30 incidentally. But ended up choosing the H1 for it's flexibility. It has a 12x optical zoom, full manual mode, aperture priority and shutter priority modes (along with the Full Auto mode and Scene modes). Which will allow me to easy my way towards possibly using a DSLR. Should I get that serious. Only time will tell.

So far I've been very happy with the results from my H1. Even if I've been using Program AE, Full Auto and Scene modes only so far. Hope you're enjoying your T30!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 5:46 PM   #12

Thanks so very much, DARKDTSHD.

I will check out those magazines.

Sony makes such a great product. I agonized between the T30 and the N1. I liked the style of the N1 better and the higher megapx but IS won me over to the T30. It is a beautiful camera and I'm just getting to know the ins and outs. There is so much to learn

If you post photos, I would love to see some samples with your new H1. Enjoy!

Best regards,
Mara
MMB916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:44 AM   #13

MMB916 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks so very much, DARKDTSHD.

I will check out those magazines.

Sony makes such a great product. I agonized between the T30 and the N1. I liked the style of the N1 better and the higher megapx but IS won me over to the T30. It is a beautiful camera and I'm just getting to know the ins and outs. There is so much to learn

If you post photos, I would love to see some samples with your new H1. Enjoy!

Best regards,
Mara
Hello Mara,

Not a problem. Glad to help! Isn't that why we're all here?

I agree. I've always liked the picture quality shot by Sony P&S cameras. I was comparing mine to the Canon S3 IS (had a Sony DSC-H5...had a defective unit...returned it...got a great deal on the H1) but felt the Sony H1 (and the H5 I had) put out more detailed pics and nicer colors...though, when it comes to DSLR cameras, I'd probably give Canon the nod.

Good idea making sure your T30 had IS. Does wonders and is a "must have" feature IMHO (but keep in mind IS isn't 100% fool proof). Especially in our novice hands. So far I've been very happy with the results. And like you I've only scratched the surface. Have lots to learn yet. Which is part of the fun.

As for posting photos...I will defintiely do that in time. Need to do a lot more shooting first. And will post in the photo gallery section when I do.

Have fun!!

Any more good book recommendations people??! Aimed specifically at complete novices? Please post.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote