Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 22, 2002, 12:52 PM   #11

I like the HP 5550. It is an excellent photo quality printer. It can print 6 colors with photo cartridge. It also can serve as a normal printer which uses only 4 colors. Cost is $150.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 1:57 PM   #12
lg

Default More megapixels doesn't mean sharper, clearer photos...

... it only means that you can crop your pictures more without losing picture quality. My 2.1 MP C2100 takes much sharper, clearer, and more properly exposed pictures than I am able to achieve with a 3 MP Nikon 995 I use at work. Consider the quality of the lens, exposure accuracy, optical zoom, flash metering (TTL - through the lens is better), autofocus speed, and many other variables that contribute to overall image quality.

Steve has a wonderful resource at Steve's Digicams in the sample photos for each camera reviewed (thanks, Steve!). Pick out a picture you like, and compare the photos taken with each camera you are considering buying. Be sure to resize a 3 MP to 2 MP for a fair comparison! Pick out the one that takes the sharpest, clearest pictures, and go from there.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 4:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Be sure to resize a 3 MP to 2 MP for a fair comparison!
Why would you do that? Would you resize the output of the new 11MP cameras to 0.3MP (640*480) so a "fair" comparison can be made to a BarbiCam? If one of differences between cameras is the pixel count, that difference should be considered as part of the comparison.
To the orginal question: The number of pixels is just one measure of quality - not always the most important one. But even taking the more general question, "How much quality do I need to print at 5x7 inches?", the answer will depend on how it is viewed, the subject matter, and most importantly, the eye of the beholder.

There is no deffinite, unambigious, unqualified answer, but probably most 2MP cameras can print good 5x7's.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 9:14 AM   #14

Still think your choice will be down to how you think it looks on paper. If the likely difference between 2&3 Mpix is small, then the biggest difference will be governed by printer/inks/paper.

The better the printer and larger the prints, the more res. lower compression you'll likely need from a cam, because distortions will be more visible.

A cheaper printer may smooth out distortions and give comparable 'nice' pics, but loose detail. Within reason, and without a good sharp pic to compare, our eyes are more likey to home in on contrast, brightness, colour, JPEG and edge distortion first. Some softness (loss of res.) is often a desired look to pictures. People hate seeing digital pics of themselves without make-up - often not flattering!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 9:20 AM   #15
lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew
Quote:
Be sure to resize a 3 MP to 2 MP for a fair comparison!
Why would you do that?
Bill, the premise of my post was that some 2 MP cameras take sharper and clearer pictures than some 3 MP cameras. How would you compare the quality of images taken from cameras with different resolutions?
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 10:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
The question is tricky. This would be my answer. Mpix res., and zoom are not the only criteria for me when I want an 'all round cam'. Sensitivity options and low noise performance weigh a lot, as this means you can get reasonable pics over a wide range of situations. I don't often want 10X8 prints or larger.

So if these and price were your only criteria (and they shouldn't be) I'd go for the 3Mpix, because that means the majority of your pics will benefit the extra res. for cropping etc and there might be faster ASA speed options in a cam at a lower res. setting. On the fewer occasions when you might need the zoom, you can zoom that extra bit on the edit. However, if you're shooting say wildlife a lot and will be a heavy zoom user, then you might need to consider different cams entirely.

Vox
well... I'll join this nice little talk.

First I'd like to say something about printers:
don't have much background, solid knowledge but in my opinion small price and good quality is what everybody's looking for.
This is how I bought my printer (without thinking of digi photos), initial price for the printer not above $250, sep ink cartriges (4 or 6 depending on what's going to be printed, text+graphics or photos)... and the name is ... canon bjc 6000. I'm content with it.

Now to the digicam, for sure I want to print 5'x7' (10x15cm) photos with it. And every once in a while letter (A4) size. And I don'want to see the pixels from the digicam on the paper (I can live with printer pixels) For some really good and bigger special photos I'd go to a photo shop.

And now back to the digicam I acctualy want to buy:

-not to big and not to small (canon s230 is too small, canon s330 or sony dsc-p71 or canon s30 are ok )
-fast times, on/off, picture taken/saved and so on
-2 or 3 MP, well let me refraze that, just enough to get the things I mentioned above, done
-3x optical zoom (I could live with 2x but 3x is better)
-256MB of space for saving pictures on board (sony kinda going to work on that?)
-love night shots!!, so long exposure times are more than welcome
-deacent quality and size (1.5'-1.8') display, usable on sunny days
-solid body (my wife loves to drop things like that)
-good picture quality (color, detail, sharpness), should be like 'REAL LIFE' colors

Any ideeas?
hodinix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 11:49 AM   #17

Don't think you'll be seeing many camera pixels! More likely to be macro blocks from too much compression!

And, whilst on the printer subject:.....

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...971&highlight=

BUT, to be fair to marylinfan who started this topic, the thread was choosing between 2&3 Mpix. I think the conclusion is, many factors have been discussed, including the printer and 'nice' quality will always be a subjective opinion, not resting on the cam res. alone.

Hodinix...Do you want to start a new topic?
Old Oct 23, 2002, 12:11 PM   #18

Thanks Voxmagna for remembering me! LOL!

Seriously, I am venturing to the store tonight and hope to leave with a camera. Still not sure what to do yet. The only 3MP in my price range is the Kodak DX4330 but I'm still leaning towards the Canon A40 as the price is perfect for me.

Since I do need to make this decision in the next few hours. Any comments on either of those cameras would be helpful. I posted it on another topic but so far no answers. Even some generalizations about the Kodak products and software would be helpful.

Thanks very much for everyone's help.
Marilynfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 3:43 PM   #19

Marilynfan: You've probably made your choice now. And I'm sure you will be pleased whatever your choice. Regarding the Kodak cams, I've posted some topics on aspect ratio formats (That's the ratio of horizontal to vertical pixels in the cam chip). Most cams are about 1.33. so not much cropping and pixel waste for 7X5 (about 5%).

Kodaks however, are nearer 1.5. So your pics off cam will be more panoramic. This is great for putting on new widescreen and plasma TV's. BUT for printing 7x5's you're really buying a 2.7Mpix cam, that's about 10% pixel waste.
Old Oct 23, 2002, 4:45 PM   #20

Marilynfan, the main advice I'd offer is not to worry very much - there are very few dud cameras out there. These discussions get into fine levels of detail that really don't matter very much to very many people. I have yet to see a raging argument about the best color for the base-plate on a digicam, but sometimes it almost gets that silly.

I doubt you will go far wrong with whatever you get, and I also don't doubt that you will find things you wish you had thought of after you get it. But they will almost for sure be little things.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote