Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 23, 2002, 9:29 PM   #21

Thanks again everyone. Looked at a couple cameras tonight but they didn't have the DX4330. I did look at some other similar Kodaks and that made up my mind for me. Just finally holding the A40 in my hand made me realize it's too big for me. The Kodak will be more my size and hey extra pixels don't hurt either. So thanks again. I should be going Saturday to seal the deal. I'll let you know how I make out.
Marilynfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 10:26 PM   #22

Marilynfan,

I just went through a similar decision-making process. I ended up with a Sony P2. I would highly encourage you to check out some Sony's. The "feel" of them just seemed much better to me. The P2 gets virtually no mentions on these forums, but after searching, I could not find a bad review. The larger P51/P71 series has similar feel in a bigger pakage, but they still seem smaller than the A40 that I heavily considered.

FYI, if you buy Sony, buy online. You will not find any significant discount if you go B&M.
dancing bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2002, 6:33 AM   #23

Voxmagna, the answer is no, no new topic, why would I want that? If I'm not wrong, the initial question asked by Marilynfan was "do I need a camera with 3 megapixels to print good photos?", right?
I'm interested in the answer to this question too.

If this is a yes or no question (only yes or no, no but's) than the answer to the"what camera to buy?" is easy (or maybe not easy at all) as long as the buyer reduced the no of "which camera to buy" to let's say 3 or max 4.

In my case that would mean:

The cameras:

1. Canon S330 2MP
2. Sony DSC-P71 3MP
3. Canon S30 3MP
4. Canon S200 2MP

The answer to the question is YES:

option 2 or 3.
Looking to the other specs but the MP, I would say option 3.

The answer to the question is NO:

option 1 or 4.
Looking to the other specs but the MP, I would say option 1.

Now the answer can not really be a straight yes/no, so things are getting complicated, I like how Canon S330 looks and what it can do, I'd buy it on the spot without any thoughts if it would have 3MP. So back to the initial question, are 2MP enough for good prints(5x7 up to letter size) or do I need 3MP to keep the same quality all over?
The canon S30 got some minus on megapixel.net and I don't like the lens cover (looks weak to me).
Sony has no more than 128MB cards.
S200 too small.

Now let me review the posting here and get the YES, NO and YES/NO or other hint answers the way I see them:

gibsonpd3620- NO
ursa- NO
marcoangels- NO
voxmagna- YES/NO going more to the YES
lg- 2MP could be better than 3MP
BillDrew- NO but it depends
dancing bear- NO (recom a 2MP Sony)

And this is how I understand the above mentioned answers:

4 satisfied 2MP camera owners and 3 pro photografers saying that not only the MP count and you know what, everybody is right!

And what does that mean for me? I've got no clue what to buy!!!
hodinix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2002, 7:22 AM   #24

If there was a unanimous 'yes' we'd all buy the same perfect cam, we'd all be doing the same things with it, there'd be no alternatives to choose from - and they'd all be black and we'd pay through the nose, 'cos there would be no competing (different) products.

We all help from individual experience, so that doesn't mean a recommendation is exactly right for everybody. Features make choices possible, as has been said there probably isn't a really bad cam. But sometimes you have to make the decisions!

Caveat Emptor!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2002, 11:20 AM   #25

I do agree 100% with you Voxmagna!
but... if money would not be a decision factor, these kinda forums would have no meaning or use.
Example: ah I don't like this one, in the trash with it, I'll go and get another one and so on 'til I'll find the right one.

What I'm trying to do here is gatter infos, opinions that people like you got and are willing to share. And by the way, I'm not looking for 'unanimous 'yes' ', couple hints and shared experience is also going to help.

My problem is that I need a digicam before dec 02, I read to many reviews (steve-digicams, dpreview,megapixel.net,imaging-resource, dcresource.com and so on), I looked at to many posted pictures (www.digicamfotos.de) and now I don't know what I like and what's even worse I cannt choose one from the ones I like the most.
So now I'm searching the forums, looking for hints that could push me towards taking a decision. Do you think I'm in the wrong forum?

Ok, time to stop talking about how I'm trying to choose a digicam.

Do you think I should start another topic about 2 or 3MP cameras, addressing the ones I'm looking at? Would be no problem for me...
Old Oct 24, 2002, 2:31 PM   #26

The problem for most, is choosing the features they want from many, getting informed opinion, sometimes in conflict and then making a decision. If you start with a criteria 2 or 3 Mpix, the marginal performance differences will be fairly small for current cam models, for most average users.

Now if cash was unlimited and the comparison was 1 to 5 Mpix you would get the replies you expect. So, it's like choosing cars (sorry autos!) there's plenty of make/models/prices and choice. Start comparing something close and it's a problem. BUT if there was something outstanding and cheap, everybody here would have bought it, including yourself!

Marilynfan, had the right idea. For her, there is an amazing set of criteria and technical opinion thrown in. BUT at the end of the day she's choosing in the right ball ground and if she happens to like the colour or size most of all, that will be her personal best choice.

I have never answered a post 'What cam should I buy' or 'What is the best cam'. It's not to be unhelpful. Sometimes a poster hasn't taken any trouble to match even basic requirements, such as cash, to meet their needs!

How did you choose your pc? digicams are the same idea. We make the best personal decision at the time and accept in 6 months time, something better will come, the price will have dropped - and we're on the technology carousel!

This Forum provides many rich shades of grey. The few black cams are reported or don't feature much discussion, the white ones are probably too expensive.

So, if you can focus on 2 or 3 specific cams you like, forum members will contribute their experience but only the salesmen will tell you which to buy! Ritz publish their top selling cams. so if you're a fashion follower this might be a guide to what buyers think is best.
Old Oct 24, 2002, 3:26 PM   #27

I ordered my Kodak DX4330 last night online and it is supposed to be delivered tomorrow! Can't wait!

I did as much research as possible but realistically, I don't think I've read a bad review. For every single camera there was never 100% thumbs up but all of them had a high percentage of happy users. How do you make a decision based on that? I finally realized that everyone is happy with the camera that they picked so I just had to pick one! And yes, in the end it came down to the feel and look of it (and the 3MP didn't hurt either).

I'm sure I will love my camera as much as everyone else raves about theirs!
Marilynfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2002, 4:18 PM   #28

It's nice to hear from a satisfied happy member, come back when you've played with the cam if you need help - and you have graduated to Kodak section now!
Old Oct 25, 2002, 1:56 AM   #29

Default try them

So here's what you do. You go to a retailer with a great returns policy (no restocking fee) ie, Circuit City, Office Max, and buy 2 different cameras and try them out and compare the features, image quality, etc. If neither camera is what you want, you return both of them and get your money back, and try 2 more. When you finally find a camera that makes you happy, shop online for it and if you get a significantly lower price, from a 'reputable' merchant, buy it online and return the 'trial' camera to the store...as consumers, we don't have much of a chance to 'compare' cameras, as Steve does, so we need to take advantage of return policies, and try different cameras, until we're happy! The merchant doesn't lose out, they just sell your return as an 'open-box' item and they are happy to have you come through the doors of their store, because once you're there, who knows what you might buy! It's kinda like the 'Vegas $1.99 steak dinners.'..they don't make anything on the dinner, but you have to walk past hundreds of slot machines to get
to the restaurant and they're betting that the flashing lights will tempt you to put $10, $20, maybe more into the machine, therefore costing you much more than $1.99 for your dinner!
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 3:38 AM   #30

marcoangels right you are, I would have done that by now but I live in germany and returning products it is a fight(with small exceptions). As of to what I'll buy, will be posted here with o small review, as soon as I'll make up my mind