Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 25, 2002, 5:02 AM   #31

The problem with trials for all of us, is if you want the latest model to stay ahead or a very fashionable cam, the shop's unlikely to have a trial in the store - so most customers end up buying 'off page' - surrounded by the flashing lights!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2002, 5:44 PM   #32

Okay, my last post here before moving to the Kodak forum. Got my DX4330 on Friday and am really enjoying it. I ordered it online and got my hands on a $25 off coupon and even better is there was a mail-in for a FREE 64MB Multimedia card. So even though the camera did cost more than the Canon A40 I was considering it turned out to be a great deal!!

As for the camera itself I've only taken a few photos but I am just loving it. I took it over to my parents who don't have a computer so I tried plugging it into the TV with the supplied cables and it worked like a charm! They really enjoyed the slide show.

I recorded a little clip of my dog with it and added it to his website, so if you have Quicktime check it out at www.ceasars-palace.net

So thanks again for all the advice, I'll mosey over to the Kodak forum now.
Marilynfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 12:23 AM   #33

Aw, Kodak? That's okay, but we'll miss you at the Olympus forum you might have been a member of...good luck, have fun!

Here's a C-4000 pic with color modification:

http://www.pbase.com/image/6431065
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2002, 9:46 PM   #34

:P As far as printers go You should look at the canon printers. If you are looknig for a normal page size printer look at the canon s820 and the canon i850. The s820 is a dedicated photo printer. It is very, very slow for genral purpose and text printing but prints exceptional photos. If you want to spend a little more the the s900 is even better. For a printer that does a great job with general printing, text, and photos look at the i850. It doesn't print as good of photo's as the s series but it is very close. The i550 is also a good general purpose printer if you want to go a little cheaper but you lose the technology the i850 uses to simulate six color printing of dedicated photo printers. If you can at all afford it, go with the i850 over the i550. I have read through many forums threads about cameras and printers and am very happy with the camera I bought based on it (the canon a40). It seems most people like epsons or canons for photo printers. I am afraid I don't know a lot about the epsons (I like the canons) but I would look at epson too. I know I am going to get slammed for this but most of what I have read says hp is not even keeping up with canon and epson for foto printers. As for lexmarks they don't even compare. I have read this from many posts and having owned two lexmarks myself they are garbage. The first one came free with my computer and I assumed it was junk because it was so cheap so I bought a second lexmark. I feel very stupid for having made that decision.
Look at www.dpreview.com and go to the printers forum. There is lots of info there.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2002, 8:18 AM   #35

Do the prints fade after 5 -10 years with these printers? Do they use the new archival or photonic inks? Because of this uncertainty, I'm still inclined towards the shop 300dpi laser scanned to halide prints for prints that I want to last.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 2:12 PM   #36

Default just leting youknow

I got a canon s30. I like the digicam, it does what I wanted and I'm satisfied with it.

What I don't like is that

-raw format is not available in the auto programs
-display is rather hard to read (still usable) on sunny days
-battery life is kind a short (2 hours non stop using)

Test pictures can be found on www.digicamfotos.de (german)
hodinix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 5:40 PM   #37

I'll add my 2 cents worth here. I have a FinePix 2800 and a Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 842c (paid $69 Cdn). I can easily print 8x10's which look as good as anything I get from Mal-Mart or Sears photo labs (in fact people have asked me which photo lab I use). This is WITHOUT any photo manipulation at all (except for red-eye removal). I just copy the image from SmartMedia to hard disk, open up HP's PhotoSmart program, select the image size I want, insert a generic high gloss 8.5x11" paper, and say "print" using PhotoRet II setting (highest quality). A no-brainer as they say.
With other cameras and printers I have had to spend significant time in PhotoShop or PhotoDeluxe adjusting brightness, contrast, tint, sharpness, gamma, tone mapping, etc. Never again !!!
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote