Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 22, 2002, 1:24 PM   #1

Default FLASH FOR CANON A40

I realize the silliness of the question, as Canon Powershot A40 doesn't have an external flash adapter, but... Is there any way to use additional flash with it? As much as I like this camera, its broad functionality, relatively low price, decent picture quality (in good light) etc. I find the flash rather weak, even for a small compact camera like A40.

Thanks in advance, :?:
Matthew Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2002, 4:44 PM   #2

Default Re: FLASH FOR CANON A40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Toronto
I realize the silliness of the question, as Canon Powershot A40 doesn't have an external flash adapter,
No question is silly Matthew

Quote:
... Is there any way to use additional flash with it
There is a way , always.
You can use any external flash in manual mode , or auto-aperture mode ( called auto-thyristor mode) . The external flash is triggered (by the built in camera flash ) by a “slave cell” .

My question (b4 going any further) :
1) does your cam “preflash” ? ( ie flashes 2 or 3 times at each shot)
2) Does your cam have manual exposure mode?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 12:58 PM   #3

You might want to look at a canon board http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php. They have a forum just for small canon cameras including A40
plschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2002, 4:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCan
Quote:
I realize the silliness of the question, as Canon Powershot A40 doesn't have an external flash adapter,
No question is silly Matthew

Quote:
... Is there any way to use additional flash with it
There is a way , always.
You can use any external flash in manual mode , or auto-aperture mode ( called auto-thyristor mode) . The external flash is triggered (by the built in camera flash ) by a “slave cell” .

To Anwser this camera for him.. (tryed it in the store)

1. Yes the camera has a preflash.. 2 flashs.... The last flash takes the picture..

2. And if I remember the camera does have a manual exposure mode.
Digital_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 11:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by plschwartz
You might want to look at a canon board http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php. They have a forum just for small canon cameras including A40
Powershot A40 ain't no SMALL camera
Old Nov 18, 2002, 11:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCan

There is a way , always.

yes it does have the manula mode and the preflash. I've used external flash manually with long exposure times, but don't know how ot use it with shutter speeds under 1 sec.

Old Nov 18, 2002, 10:41 PM   #7

Digital_User, thanks

Matthew,
The reason of my 2 questions is to determine how you can use an external flash "normally" ( ie without having to use too slow shutter speed as you had to use )

With the 3 facts:
1) manual exposure possible;
2) your cam does a preflash ( can not force single flash) ;
3) Your cam does not have a pc sync terminal , nor a hot shoe ,

Your only good bet , IMO, is using an external flash with auto-aperture capability ( manual mode only flash is too tedious , doesn't worth) The flash is then triggered by the camera flash via a Wein (spell??) device ( they made one that trigger the flash at the second burst received)

You can also use the "aged" SR Electronics "Digislave" , but it"s a more limited choice since you can use the Wein device and choose the flash that suits your need ( Make, style, power ...)

With the external flash in auto-aperture mode, you set the camera aperture in accordance with the setting on the flash ( they have 3,4,5,6,7 settings depending on flash) and that's it. The flash will cut off automatically at the right level ( that's why they call them auto-thyristor flashes as well)
Your setting of shutter speed then determine the background exposure. Of course, don't go too low , the background then will go blur . 1/30 sec is a slow limit not to go further IMO.

Note: the flash preflash 2 times ( rather than 1) before the "right one" probably in "red eye reduction mode" . So if you use as I describe, set the "red eyes reduction" off .

Good luck

PS: On a "academic" tone, you could take a look at this , I made it to do the job of the new "Wein device", and more .
Old Nov 18, 2002, 11:04 PM   #8

FYI:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2433

Wein website:
http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm
Old Nov 20, 2002, 6:18 PM   #9

Nope I tryed that as well KCan.... It was not in Red eye mode.. When in Red eye mode I think the Flash lights up or something.. I had the Fash set to "Always on" and it still did that Pre Flash thing..
Digital_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 9:37 PM   #10

Digital_user,

I don't know the camera, if it preflash once ( total 2 flash, as I understood) it gonna work .
(In the case of the D7, it flashes 2 times total in normal mode , and 3 times total in red eye reduction mode.)