Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 28, 2004, 3:15 PM   #1

This is my first digi-cam. It is a Sony DSC-P41. Went and used one of the pic developing machines at local Rite Aid. The pics all had an almost orange tint to them or maybe too bright. Could this be the machine that developed the picsor do I need to adjust settings on the camera? This was really evident on inside pics. Also had thered-eye in the pics.

Thanks,

Vince
vdaily89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2004, 4:14 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums Vince.

Without seeing your photos, it's difficult to say what went wrong.

It's usually a good idea to view them on your PC first to see how they look, before having them printed.

Redeye is going to be a problem with almost any smaller camera. As a general rule, the closer the flash is to a camera's lens, the greater your potential for redeye.

Using the Redeye Reduction Flash mode can help (this uses a preflash to help shrink your subject's pupils prior to the main flash), but it often doesn't help enough to eliminate it in many lighting conditons. See page 30 of your manual for how to set this mode (redeye reduction flash mode).

But, Redeye is pretty easy to correct using many image editing packages. If you don't have one, here are some links to free ones with Redeye Correction (and there are many more available):

http://www.picasa.com

http://www.irfanview.com (make sure to download the free plugins, too).

As for the orange tint to your images, I'd need to look at one to see what you're talking about. Chances are, it's the lighting conditions you were shooting in (although, I wouldn't rule out a problem with the printer). Each light source has a unique color temperature. The camera has a way to compensate for common lighting known as White Balance.

It sounds like you had strong incadescent lighting that caused a color cast (even though you were using flash).You may or may not get better results by switching the camera to Incadescent White Balance in similar conditions (since the flash will still be contributing to the light). If you look on page 55 of your manual, it will show you how to set White Balance for different lighting conditions.

Just to make sure we're looking at the same manual, the one I'm referring to is at this link (in .pdf format):

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/dscp41.pdf

There are also ways to correct color cast problems later in software. If you post a sample image here (you'll need to downsize it first using software to post it), then we can see what the problem is if you want us to take a look at one.

If you don't have software that can downsize a photo, the irfanview package I posted a link to can do this for you. Just open an image file using File, Open. Then, you can resize it under the Image, Resize/Resample menu choice. I'd probably downsize it to 640x480 (you'll see this choice), then save it under a different file name (so that you don't overwrite the original).

Then, when you post here, you'll see a browse button at the bottom of the entry screen when you're posting that will allow you to attach an imageto the post.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 5:53 PM   #3

Thanks Jim. I have the pics on my computer and previewed them before going. Just looking at them again and they don't have the problems I was talking about. I think maybe it was something to do with the developing machine or their printer. I might go back and see if they can redo them or go somewhere else and see if I have the same problem.

Old Nov 28, 2004, 6:52 PM   #4
Administrator

It's also possible your monitor is not properly calibrated. Here is some info on the subject:

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

You may want to post a sample image here (you'll need to downsize it first), so that other users can tell if it looks OK on their monitor.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:52 PM   #5

here is one.
Attached Images

Old Nov 28, 2004, 9:35 PM   #6
Administrator

It's got a little bit of a color cast to it (but that's just because of the strong incadescent lighting). I don't see anything unexpected for this kind of lighting.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 4:58 AM   #7

I've got some more I will try to post this afternoon/evening when I get home.

The pic above looks o.k. to me(not great, o.k.), but the 4x6 I had made was not near this good. Much more bright, or an orange tint. I think maybe it was the developing machine. I may try somewhere else.