Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:13 PM   #1

So I went out an bought one of these fine cameras. My first camera and may be a little high end for my newbiness but what the hell I learn by playing. Anyways when I'm trying to transfer the pictures/movies to my harddrive for editing the program that comes with it (PictureProject) will only work if I have the camera set in PTP move rather than mass storage (when I use mass storage nothing is in the drive). PictureProject will sometimes enumerate all the pictures in the smartcard for transfer but usually will disconnect fairly quickly before the files can be transfered to my harddisk.

Has anyone had experience with this?
jinexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:45 PM   #2

What version of Windows is on your PC?
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 6:28 PM   #3

I have a similar problem with my nikon 950 on my athlon PC running winxp home edition. The USB connection would sometimes work, and sometimes not work. I suspect it's something to do with the computer port (maybe). The USB connection works just fine when I hook the camera up to my laptop running win2000. Eventually, I decided I'd just get a compact flash card reader so I don't have to bother about this connection problem on my PC anymore.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 8:51 PM   #4
Administrator

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
I have a similar problem with my nikon 950 on my athlon PC running winxp home edition. The USB connection would sometimes work, and sometimes not work.
The Nikon Coolpix 950 doesn't have a USBport (it only connects to a serial port).A card reader is a very good idea unless you're very patient. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 10:33 PM   #5

oops...you're right about that! I actually meant serial connection...not USB port. When I typed, I was thinking of serial...not USB as I mistakenly wrote. That's true...the card reader is really fast compared to the slow serial connection.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote