Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 24, 2002, 6:28 PM   #1

Default shutter lag

I have just bought a Canon Powershot A40 spending about 200. I have read good reviews about the camera but when i first tried it there seemed to be a long delay between pressing the button to take the photo and the photo being taken.

I have found out (from this website) that it is called "shutter lag".

I've bought the camera primarily as we can take quick photo's and delete the bad ones straight away.

BUT !!!!
with 2 kids who don't want to stand still !!!!!! how can i get a camera with an zero shutter lag ??????
OR this going to be the same on most digital cameras??
richardpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2002, 6:44 PM   #2

Default Need SLR

As far as I know, the only digital cameras with a "normal" shutter lag are the SLRs. While most of these are relatively expensive, the Olympus E-10 is a good value. I shoot with an E-20N which is a little more expensive and love it. I do believe that the E-10 is a good digicam also.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2002, 7:07 PM   #3

I haven't used my A40 very much but I did not notice a significant shutter lag taking shots of my grandchildren on the run. You may want to make sure that the self timer is not set for the 2 second delay. This would surely give you a long shutter lag time.
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2002, 9:40 PM   #4

With most consumer digicams, one way to deal with shutter lag is the half pressed shutter. That makes the camera focus, set exposure, white balance, and whatever automagical stuff your camera does. That seems to take most of the time, so the lag from half-pressed to shutter release is small.

It does mean you have to anticipate what is going to happen, but you have to do that anyway - otherwise your camera won't even be in your hands.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 5:09 AM   #5

BillDrew's right about the 'work arounds'. Selecting large uncompressed file options also slows things up a lot. I find newer cams are better, so now I'm frustrated by the 'flash recharge lag' factor! Can't have everything, can we?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 1:20 PM   #6

If you prefocus (as Bill suggests), the shutter lag on this camera is practically nil (.09 seconds). You might also want to try out the continuous or "burst" mode, which takes several shots in quick succession. Good for catching a good shot in changing scenes. Take a look at the manual to see more about that and how to make it work.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 3:27 PM   #7

thanks very much for all your advice - i will try them all !!!

Rich
richardpayne is offline   Reply With Quote