Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 28, 2002, 11:47 AM   #1

Default Where did you buy YOUR camera??

Hey I'm about to get my 1st digital camera after lots of research. I have decided on an Olympus 2100UZ! Now since they are all refurbished and what have you b/c they are discontinued I am going to have to buy online.

I'm hoping that anyone who reads this post can just tell me where they bought their digital camera (only if you did so online) and what kind of experience they had with the seller. Thank you so much!

p.s. I plan on using cnet.com and their rating system to help me pick a store, but I just want to be really sure that I am buying from a quality merchant that cares about their customers.
lckrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2002, 12:22 PM   #2

I found the C2100 on www.dealtime.com. It is refurb and they list a dealer I have purchased from. Click for Digital is listed there. You can read the reviews from other people who have purchased from them.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 3:32 PM   #3

See this post.

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...asc&highlight=
John Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 9:41 PM   #4

I bought my Casio 3000 a couple of years ago from Ritz - via the click-through advertisment here. Found that Ritz was as good a price as anywhere else, so came back here to click through to buy it. Didn't cost me anything extra, and helped pay for the bandwidth I use here.

Since the local camera shops have gone away, it makes sense to do business through the web sites you get information from. The adverts here (and at DPReview and at Imaging-Resources and at ....) will often have as good a price as any other reputable dealer.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2002, 1:17 AM   #5

if you wish to buy the Oly C-2100, you can have it refurbihed from buy.com for 442.95

http://www.buy.com/retail/clearance/...9064&loc=13498

ajeet
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2002, 9:43 AM   #6

I just made mt first major internet purchase (an Olympus C2500L) and these guys were great! Best price and shipped early. I, like you, had also been shopping and researching for a while. It was important for me to have a true SLR with clear focussing. The camera has been a blast! Good luck!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1391761976
Dawgcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2002, 5:37 AM   #7

I bought a Fujifilm S602Z from centraldigital.com. They sold it to me for $590 when it retails for $800...it's new, under warranty, not a refurb or anything like that. Also, you should look at this camera, I'm not just saying it because I happen to own it...it has reviewed at the top of the heap and everything I've read about it says it's the most bang for the buck.

sev
sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2002, 9:35 AM   #8

yes I have read about the fuji 602z and It looks nice. Just a little out of my price range though. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say bad things about an Olympus 2100UZ though. I am still very excited about gettting one. Seems like on the picture of the day page here that lots of the nicer shots are being taken with a 2100. As for purchasing...I am looking at clickfordigital.com and acesclub.com and a few others. Thanks!
lckrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2002, 3:37 PM   #9

Honestly, I'm of the opinion that if you're not buying an SLR that you can physically change lenses, money should not be a concern for you. Get the best digicam you can. Why?

Because, by going digital, you're saving all the money you would normally spend processing film (which is about $20/roll nowadays). The only filters you need are polarizing and UV--just about all the other filters you can do in Photoshop with a little help from guys like me. (If you're interested in shooting IR, the S602Z has an IR sensitive CCD, so again, all you need is the filter.) Literally the most money you can spend on a camera like this is orders of magnitude less than on a regular SLR, so don't hold back. You'll be sorry later when you want to have certain options available and your camera won't.

Look at me, I went out and bought this camera and an enthusiast pro pack. I have 256 CF Type I Ultra memory card, three carrying cases of different sizes, an A/C adapter, 1800 mAh NiMH batteries and charger (make sure you get one that keeps the batteries cool--that's the single most important factor in keeping them alive for a long time), 0.5x and 2.0x conversion lenses, a mini-tripod, a regular tripod, polarizing and UV filter, and the extension tube necessary to mount all that stuff on the camera. I've spent around $1000 total, and that's it. There's nothing left to buy unless I decide to go and get a Bogen tripod or something like that. I may decide to buy a $200 laptop with a 5 or 10GB hard drive and a car DC-AC converter so I have unlimited shooting capability. I'm of the opinion that if I'd duplicated this setup with a normal film camera, I would have spent probably close to double just for the equipment, and so far I've run almost 5000 frames through, which is about 200 rolls at $20/roll, that's another $4000 dollars.

One of my good friends just went through the same thing as you're going through, and was only willing to spend about $300 on a digital camera. The first time he wanted to blow up an 8"x10" of his wife that he took, he was asking to borrow my camera.

sev
sever is offline   Reply With Quote