Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 21, 2002, 8:14 AM   #11

Quote:
>>"You can plug the camera directly to your PC with a USB cable but I think you are better off reading cards with a dedicated reader."<<
padeye, just to pick nits - I disagree with the idea that a card reader is better than a direct connection to the camera. The less the memory card is handled, the less problems there will be. The likelyhood of problems is still very small with a reader, but you can't bend pins, get static discharge, drop it in hot coffee, ... if you don't take the card out of the camera.

There are good reasons to use a card reader, but I don't think it should be done unless there is a specific good reason. Speed is the most common reason to use a card reader, but if your camera has a USB/firewire connection that is as fast as a dedicated card reader, use the camera's connection.

Not having drivers for your Torvald XXX OS is another reason to use a card reader.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2002, 8:38 AM   #12
NHL

BillDrew

I have to side with Padeye.

One can get a 'driver free' card reader while some people might run into problem installing their camera's software especially older camera on Window XP! Beside hooking up the camera to the computer is a temporary job; whereas a card reader, even a firewire one, can be left permanently attached to the computer... (Some camera even need an AC adapter on top of it when downloading large CF card or microdrive).

If you do studio shoots like Padeye and myself, you'll also be using the camera while a CF card (or microdrive) is downloading... Is it better to wear out the camera connector rather than the flash pins?

[Edited on 6-21-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2002, 11:39 AM   #13

If you wear out the camera's USB connection, that would be a reason to use a card reader. If you read the reports of problems with memory cards, it most of them include a statement about using a card reader.

There is no doubt that there are more ways to damage your memory card using a card reader than using the camera's USB connection.

It is true that being able to shoot with one card while downloading another is a good reason to use a card reader. Not many folks do that.

I just leave the camera's USB cord permanently connected to the computer - less time to connect than to eject the card, insert into the reader, take out of reader, re-insert into camera. Even counting the time to connect the AC adapter. And the AC adapter is saves batteries while tethered shooting as well.

Since I use a microdrive, I am more sensitive to the issue of memory damage than those using solid state memory. But most of the issues apply to both - just less extreme for solid state.

I am not saying that a card reader should never be used. Only that there should be a reason for using it.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2002, 1:24 PM   #14
NHL

I guess different 'strokes... different folks'. I've also found that the microdive are a god sent ways to transfer files between computers. I'm therefore used to inserting the microdrive in and out of my home/laptop/work computers (or Photosmart reader/printer).

The current crop of 5 Mpixels cameras or Powerpoint presentations way exceed the usability of Zip disks and E-mail accounts limit (even @ work), so I wouldn't imagine carrying my camera around as a transfer medium along with its AC cord... Beside the few tiny miniaturized USB connector pins on the camera has nowhere the reliability of the regular USB plug which is just a PC board.

[Edited on 6-21-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote