Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 18, 2002, 9:22 PM   #1

Default Need more than help

Hi All,

First of all this is a plain WONDERFUL site i discovered yesterday with massive info abt cameras!!!
Kudos to the persons managing it.

I am totally new to the world of photography/cameras...an amateur.

I am planning to buy a camera(Regular or digital anyone) and a digicamcorder but i dont know an iota about cameras and camcorders. I have about 500$ in my pocket for camera and about 1000$ for a digital camcorder.

Could you please suggest me which one would suit me in this budget... I am confused.

Any help from you guys would be great!

Thanks
Manish
mexx_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2002, 12:18 AM   #2
lg

For $500, I'd highly recommend the Olympus C-2100. Steve's Digicams has a good review and sample pics. Check out my website for more pics. I'm afraid I can't help with a camcorder...
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2002, 5:29 AM   #3
NHL

mexx_freedom

If you reverse your budget: $500 for digital camcorder and $1000 for digicam you'll have a much better chance of getting decent selection on both! Actually $600/$900 is more like it...

Digicam under $900
Camcorder MiniDV under $600 and Digital 8 under $600

[Edited on 6-19-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2002, 12:37 PM   #4

Thanks Lg and NHL,

Well i have one query nhl, what would i get under 500$ for a digicamcorder? I saw a good pocket size latest model for about 1200$ but nothing decent for about 600$.

Pls let me know.
And so i guess c2100 is the best option as lg says...how much does one have to shell out on its accessories and all? if u know pls let me knwo too.

And is it right that the higher the megapixels the better the camera?
Then olympus 2100 is just 2.1 megapixels!!

pls help

thanks a lot
Old Jun 19, 2002, 3:51 PM   #5
NHL

mexx_freedom

The link worked this morning:
http://www.pricescan.com/digiphoto/s.../Q08020101.asp.
It ranges from the Sony DCR-TRV140 to the Hitachi VMD875LA for Digital 8.

and

http://www.pricescan.com/digiphoto/s.../Q08020104.asp.
It ranges from the Panasonic PV-DV51 to the JVC GR-DVM80U for MiniDV.

If the link doesn't work do your own search @
http://www.pricescan.com/digiphoto/080201.asp
there's must be at least several dozen digital camcorder models available for under $600 !!!

I guess the link doesn't work when there's a script, try this for digicam, I believe you can aim must higher than what the C2100 can offer you ...

Old Jun 20, 2002, 1:11 PM   #6

I've got one of the Panasonic PVDV51 cameras. I paid $350 for it new. It's not feature laden but save for an external mic jack and analog video/audio input it has every useful feature my old Hi-8 sony did at more than four times the price. An inexpensive firewire board/edit package and a reasonably speedy PC (PIII/733, 256megs ram & 7200rpm drive is adequate) give you oustanding image quality and tremendous flexibility.

I'm in total agreement to spend more on the still camera. If you needed a more feature laden video cam I doubt you'd be making this post

Which still camera is best depends a lot on your experience and what you want to do. NHL and I both think the Dimage 7i would be an oustanding choice but it's not a pocket camera and the complexity of what it can do might overwhelm you at first. If you want to learn serious photography it could be something you grow into.

As a rule more megapixels are better all else being equal. 2.1 is the absolute minimum I'd consider for an everyday pocket camera. That will give you nice 8x10 injet prints if you do no cropping. If that's all you need you can get a Canon A40 for $300 and be quite happy. 3 megapixels or more might be a better choice for your only camera. The Dimage 7 is 5.1 megapixels.

Accessories are always a killer. You'll want a spare high capacity battery for the camcorder for sure. For the still cam you'd be wise to get one that takes AA batteries rather than a proprietary Li-Ion. Rayovac makes an excellent 1 hour charger for $30 and battereies are available for $11 a set at any Target or Wal-Mart in America.

You'll need to get a higher capacity memory card than your camera comes with. Sony memory sticks and smart media top out at 128mb while compact flash is available in bigger sizes.

You can plug most digicams directly to your PC with an included USB cable but I find it better to get a dedicated memory card reader. Those are about $30 or so.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2002, 1:34 PM   #7
NHL

padeye

You da the man!

In fact I don't recall the last time I've used my Optura DVcamcorder, but the D7 is a daily affair... if not just to check the batteries status by clicking the shutter to enable the Auto-ON then hear the soothing beep-beep of the Auto-OFF.
Old Jun 20, 2002, 4:55 PM   #8

Thanks NHL. I think both of us have gone through a similar school of hard knocks so it's no suprise we come to similar conclusions.

Just lately I've given my advice spiel to a couple of people at work so I'm going to distill it all down and add it to my homepage.
Old Jun 20, 2002, 5:24 PM   #9

hi Padeye,

Thanks a lot for all this info man!
Seems like minolta dimage 7i is cool....
I have One more doubt ...Hows dimage s404 and dimage 5?? as i went to this site and it sadi that 7i is just win98 compatible whereas the other 2 are MacOS 8.6, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows 2000 compatible!!! and also a lot of other things!! this is the link:

http://www.bizrate.com/marketplace/c...31&Compare.y=3

Let me know what you think.
Once again thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2002, 6:36 PM   #10

I can't recall hearing from anyone who has a Dimage 5. I figure anyone who is willing to get a somewhat bulky and complex camera is going to go for the whole magilla and get a 5 megapixel image. Because the D5 uses a reduced size CCD and the same lens it actually has less wide angle view than the D7/D7i (35mm equivalent vs. 28mm) which I consider a serious drawback. It theoretically has a better telephoto (250mm vs 200m) but since it's done by effectively cropping the image area thats no advantage.

I think it's kind of misleading to say a camera is compatible or not with any operating system. You can plug the camera directly to your PC with a USB cable but I think you are better off reading cards with a dedicated reader. In any event I'm sure Bizrate's information is incorrect for the Dimage image viewer software which should be compatible with all those operating systems in the D7i as it is in the previous cameras.

Hmm, they also say the D7i comes with an AC adapter. I'd bet good money that is a typo. All three of those cameras will come with a USB cable though.

FWIW Minolta includes an adequate set of NiMH batteries but an overnight charger that isn't even a very good paperweight, at least that was so with the D7 I purchased in December. It will get you started but include a fast charger in your overall budget.

Yeah, the D7 is a cool camera. I come from a long background with film cameras so I'm really picky about capabilities. It will take another generation or two before I ditch my film Nikons but the D7 is the camera I use most now.

[Edited on 6-20-2002 by padeye]