Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 14, 2004, 9:51 PM   #1

I posted this in another forum, but I thought I'd post it here also. I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on which memory card to buy for the panasonic fz10. There's just so many choices that I don't really know what to choose. thanks
mommy2owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:26 PM   #2

Here is what I would do.

Stick with a good name brand. Lexar, SanDisk, Delkin, transcend, there are a few others. Get something in the 18x range or so. Spending more isn't really worth it because you camera probably can't write any faster.

And don't give in to the urge to buy something faster because its an investment. That your next camera will take advantage of it. The prices of flash memory is droping like a stone and getting smaller. Less than a year ago I spend $300 on a 1G 32x CF card. I just got an 80x 1G CF card for $120. (before a 30 dollar rebate.) Get a good sized card and the fastest that fits your current needs. In 6 months you'll be able to get a faster larger card for less.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 6:14 PM   #3

thanks eric. I was considering the transcend 45x 512mb card or the kingmax 60x 512mb card. So do you think the extra speed is just a waste of money with the panasonic fz-10 and a slower card would be just as good? I was also looking at the panasonic cards.
mommy2owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:40 AM   #4

While not having experience with that camera, I would bet that the extra speed is wasted. It will read faster in your computer (if you use a CF card reader) but usually what matters to people is write speed in the camera, and there the extra speed is probably wasted.

If the price difference is... $10 or $20 bucks, sure, why not get the faster one. But if the difference is $50? I wouldn't do it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 3:30 PM   #5

I have standardized on Sandisk Ultra II 512 cards. They are pretty cheap now and only about 15-20 bucks more than the standard sandisks cards. The two areas I really like the extra speed is when I am viewing photos in the camera's LCD. They read faster and I can flip through the photos faster. The other is when I am transfering the photos to my laptop with my PCMCIA card reader. The slow cards take forever to transfer. I don't buy big cards or a lot of them, I have two one in the camera one transfering to my laptop then I swap them.

It is true however, prices are dropping fast. I have a digital Rebel and write speeds to me seem to be about the same between faster cards and the standard ones. Its the review and transfer I like.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote