Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 15, 2004, 4:42 AM   #1
ejm

Greetings and thanks for all the info, so far. I have a Panasonic FZ20 coming and hopefully it will arrive before I depart for a family holiday in few days. My problem is, I won't have much time if it does arrive to get accessories and would appreciate a rundown of what I will need to get started. :?My past SLR equiptment is long gone and I am starting from scratch.

Thanks all, looking forward to obsessing on a new hobby. I just hope I get to use it on this trip that inspired the idea in the first place.

Regards
EJM
ejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2004, 7:19 AM   #2
Administrator

Well, your two biggest concerns will be memory card space and battery life.

I'd buy a larger Secure Digital Card(s)to start with. Depending on how many photos you need to take before you'll have a way to download them to your computer, you'll probably want to look at larger cards (512mb, 1GB).

You'll see a storage chart in the review of your camera here. I'd suggest shooting in the highest quality JPEG mode, which would give you around 204 photos on a 512mb card, or 395 photos on a 1GB card (but your mileage may vary since more detail results in larger file sizes, so this is only an average).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_.../fz20_pg2.html

You will also want to make sure you've got sufficient batteries for your trip. Battery life for this model is shown at up to 240 photos. However, if you're using the LCD display a lot, or taking a lot of flash photos, you won't get this many. So, I'd make sure to buy a spare battery, too (to make sure you've got sufficient battery life before recharging them in the evening).

If you'll be away from a PC (or somewhere that can burn a CD from your memory card) for an extended period of time, you may also want to consider purchasing a portable storage device for transferring photos from your memory cards to free up more space. Some of these models use laptop hard disk drives for storing images, and some can burn to CD. If you've already got a laptop, you could bring it along instead for storing your images.

You'll see some reviews of portable storage models here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_...s.html#storage

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:43 PM   #3
ejm

Thanks for the excellant advice. Would a filter for protecting the lense be something I should be looking at as well? My first priority will be protecting my investment second will be memory.

I may wait until after my trip before getting a spare battery. Cash flow is limited right now as my credit card was maxed out by the seller on multiple cameras. I even had to transfer from my saving account to get the final purchase through.

Thanks & regards

EJM
Old Dec 15, 2004, 1:20 PM   #4
Administrator

Some users like to keep a UV filter on their camera to protect the lens.

If you search the Panasonic Forum, you'll find lots of posts on the subject.

Here is an example:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...30&forum_id=23
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 3:27 AM   #5
ejm

Thanks again. My camera arrived today! This is thanks to Fedex who went above and beyond. The seller promised to track it today and send me an email, once again they didn't follow through. Fedex who were only involved as an intermediary carrier looked after the whole thing and got it to me with time to spare. They walk on water in my mind.

My wife's stepfather has lent me a rather large but excellant camera bag and a mono-pod. I am going to try and get a filter and SD memory tomorrow.

Regards all

Man, do I have a lot of learning to do.:shock:
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:43 AM   #6

Use the camera a lot while before your holiday. Take pictures of everything, even if you just view them on the computer and throw them out afterwards. This practice will make it possible for you to get those great spontanious moments on the holiday. You'll learn something about the camera's settings, you'll learn where the buttons are so you'll find them faster. All that good stuff that only comes with experience.

And have fun with it!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:34 PM   #7
ejm

Thanks again. I have almost ran out of time but I have the camera and I am trying to learn as much as I can before I leave. I catch a ferry to Vancouver this evening and than fly out to Mexico at midnight. I really look forward to getting more involved on my return and really appreciate everyones contributions to the forum.

I lurked before I signed on and this sight is number one.

Merry Xmas

EJM
Old Dec 18, 2004, 1:21 PM   #8

Hi

I'd vote for buying a Large memory card.

Gary Hendricks
gary_hendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 6:39 PM   #9
ejm

Thanks all I'm down in Mexico getting to know the camera and having a great time.

Regards

EJM