Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 16, 2004, 9:19 AM   #1

Just a quick one...I have a thread running in 'what camera should I buy' concerning the Nikon 5700 and the Olympus 5060. The oly has a wider angle lens...what does this mean in terms of the photos I get back from the camera? The pics will be wider? Does this mean I have to print them on bigger paper?

Sorry for being stoopid!
Heavymental is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2004, 9:57 AM   #2
Administrator

Heavymental wrote:
Quote:
Just a quick one...I have a thread running in 'what camera should I buy' concerning the Nikon 5700 and the Olympus 5060. The oly has a wider angle lens...what does this mean in terms of the photos I get back from the camera? The pics will be wider? Does this mean I have to print them on bigger paper?
By wider angle, we mean a wider angle of view, becausea lens has a shorter focal length setting available (equivalent to 27mm in a 35mm camera for the Olympus C-5060WZ).

This is handy if you're trying to get more of a scene in the image. For example, you may be trying to take a group photo in a room. With some models, even at their widest lens settings (least amount of zoom), you may not be able to back up enough so that everyone is in the photo. So, a lens with a wider setting (i.e., shorter focal length) can be desirable. Users that take a lot of interior photos may appreciate a lens with a wider angle of view.

You can't go by the 1x, 2x, 3x, etc.,optical zoomnumbers when comparing cameras. All these numbers mean is that the longest available focal length is x times the shortest available focal length. For example, a 2x Optical Zoom lens could mean 20-40mm (since 40mm is 2 tiimes 20mm), or it could mean 100-200mm (since 200mm is 2 times 100mm). So, it's a good idea to look at the 35mm equivalent focal lengths of lenses when comparing models.

If you look at the first two rowsofthe sample photosin the Olympus C-5060WZ review, you'll see an example of a photo at the wide angle setting (equivalent to 27mm), and you'll see photos at other focal lengths, too (including some using wide angle and teleconverter lenses).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...0_samples.html

A lens that started out at a longer focal length compared to the Olympus C-5060WZ, would not have included as much of the scene in the photo as in the wide angle sample with the Olympus.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 1:20 PM   #3

Another alternative, in some situations, to a wider angle of view is to take more than one picture and stitch them together using panorama software. This works great in landscapes, not so well when taking pictures of groups of people or when there's movement in the scene.

Lack of wide angle capability is a real limitation in digital cameras, especially those with physically small sizesensors. Even DSLRs have limitations in this regard, especially those whose sensors are smaller than full 35mm size. Wide angle lenses are expensive to make and the advantages of those lenses are lost with small sensors.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 1:55 PM   #4

I was experimenting with two lenses and photoshop and came up with this picture.

I thought it might be relavent to post it here.

The large image is from an 18-55mm set to 18mm and the inner image is my 28-135 set to 28.

I'd never seen this done before and I was surprised just how much more was visible with 10mm extra.

(I get an error if i try to attach an image so here is a link to it)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../wideangle.jpg
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 4:14 PM   #5
Administrator

Paul(UK) wrote:
Quote:
I was experimenting with two lenses and photoshop and came up with this picture.

I thought it might be relavent to post it here.

The large image is from an 18-55mm set to 18mm and the inner image is my 28-135 set to 28.
For the benefit of the original poster, I want to point out that the angle of view you're showing with the 18-55mm set to 18mm is actually a 35mm equivalent focal length of approximately 28.8mm, and the angle of view from your 28-135mm set to 28mm is actually a 35mm equivalent focal length of approximately 44.8mm.

This is because the sensor on your EOS-20D is smaller than 35mm film, so the entire image circle is not used. Therefore, you have a crop factor requiring you to multiply the actual focal length of your lenses by 1.6 to get the 35mm equivalent focal lengths. So, 18mm x 1.6 ~= 28.8mm; and 28mm x 1.6 ~= 44.8mm.

In other words, the angle view from a model like the Olympus C-5060WZ, with it's lens set to the full wide angle position (35mm equivalent focal length of 27mm) would actuallybe aslightly wider angle of view than you have with your 18-55mm at it's widest setting (which would have a 35mm equivalent focal length of 28.8mm after the 1.6x crop factor).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote