Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 18, 2004, 12:51 AM   #11

:evil: Now to play devil's advocate. This is not to say fireman should buy that 8mp camera. In fact, he should buy the camera that best meets the needs of the type of shooting he has in mind. That may be 3mp, 5mp or 8mp, even (gasp!) film.

True, the 8mp cameras are particularly noisy. This becomes a challenge for the industry.If the noise becomes too great a problem, then the makers will have to come up with a solution. More pixels is not inherently a bad thing. In fact, it becomes a form of digital zoom when you cannot fit in more glass. Of course, what I mean by that is that the camera makers will have to either improve the noise levels of their sensors, or they will have to add technology to handle the noise, after the fact. Some already do. It's on my D70, though I've not had the need to test it.

I realize the upward curve is a bit of a dilemma for those who are too close to the technology. There's always the urge to have the latest and greatest. Sometimes the latest and greatest isn't really the greatest. But, it may lead to furthertechnology breakthroughs that continue to improve the products. Eventually, the industry will mature and people will start skipping generations, or even become satisfied with what they have. I had aCanon A-1 for20+ years. But, we still need the industry to continue to improve the products, and one area of improvement will continue to be the size AND quality of the sensors. Really, has anyone here seen the perfect digital camera? I don't think so.

Cheers,

Eric
erichlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 8:07 AM   #12

erichlund wrote:
Quote:
:evil: Now to play devil's advocate. This is not to say fireman should buy that 8mp camera. In fact, he should buy the camera that best meets the needs of the type of shooting he has in mind. That may be 3mp, 5mp or 8mp, even (gasp!) film.
I doubt that anyone but an advertising writer whose only chant is "MORE IS BETTER!!!" would disagree with that.

Quote:
... More pixels is not inherently a bad thing. ...
True. I'd go further and say that more pixels is inherently good, though it might lead to other things that are bad like higher price, more weight, more noise, ... depending on how it is implemented. What is inherently bad is smaller sensors, though that might lead to good things like lower price and less weight.

The reason small sensors are worse is that they collect less light. Collecting light is the whole function of a camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 9:00 PM   #13

I see things differently. I have been upgrading cameras every year or so starting of with the Sony 505V 3.3 mp then a Sony 707 5mp and final a digital Rebel 6.3mp and I can see an improvement with each camera. I thought there was a pretty big difference betwwen the Sony 505 and the 707. There was nbot as big a difference in print quality from the 707 to the Rebel, but the Rebel is much better for other reasons. I.E. better lenses.I would say lens quality has been the biggest improvement going to a DSLR over resolution. I generally print a t 8x10, and have gotten really good prints from as low as 3 mp.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:16 AM   #14

so here's a question, is it therefore better for me to set my S70 digital camera to take pictures at size M1 or M2 but at superfine compression, as opposed to what I currently have it as (L and fine compression).

I'll only be printing normal 8 x 10 prints so will I benefit (picture quality) from the super fine compression at a smaller size, therefore getting more space out of CF Card.

:O
PianoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 4:38 PM   #15

I always shoot at L and superfine. I have a Canon Digital Rebel so my settings may be a little different from yours. the Rebel has large, medium, and small each one in fine or course. I use Large and fine unless I know I am shooting for print then I shoot RAW. RAW gives me 16-bit images which gives the bestflexability in Photoshop, Large is my all around default when I am saving to jPG. But JPG compression sucks. Everytime you rotate or edit a JPG you loose quality which is noticable in 8x10 prints.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 5:22 PM   #16

WOW, Thank You, Steve, and everyone else for your help with my question. Everyones answers have been veryhelpful and interesting. If I could add a follow-up, if 5mp is the way to go for me. Would I be better off with as fast a lens as possible? For example the Olympus C-5060 has a F2.8/4.8 lens, compared toPanasonic's FZ20 F2.8 lens, wouldn't the Panasonic produce better images because of the faster lens overall, giving more light to the sensor? Especially if I wanted to shot at the lowest ISO possible? Thanks Again in advance.:-)
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote