Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 18, 2004, 4:25 PM   #1

Don't understand Raw.I have a canon 300D and want to take advantage of the large file format "RAW".

Canon supplied a convertor but why should I want to convert it to jpg a much smaller file,I could have taken the shot in jpg straight from the camera.

I use photoshop 7 to tweak my photos and a program called "data becker photo printer" this enables me to print to any size.Neither of these programs support RAW.I understand photoshop CS supports RAW but it is too expensive.

Is there software available where you can open a raw file, tweak it ,save it,and then print it all in Raw.:?
charlie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2004, 4:56 PM   #2
Administrator

charlie1 wrote:
Quote:
Don't understand Raw.I have a canon 300D and want to take advantage of the large file format "RAW".

Canon supplied a convertor but why should I want to convert it to jpg a much smaller file,I could have taken the shot in jpg straight from the camera.
A RAW file has not been processed by the camera (it's the data directly from the sensor). So, you can set things like white balance and sharpening after the fact (versus letting the camera process the image using the parameters you specify).

As a result, you've got much more flexibility for processing later for more accurate colors, etc. It also gives you a lot of exposure latitude. For example, if you overexpose a photo saved to JPEG and blow the highlights, there is little to nothing you can do about it.

Quote:
I use photoshop 7 to tweak my photos and a program called "data becker photo printer" this enables me to print to any size. Neither of these programs support RAW.I understand photoshop CS supports RAW but it is too expensive.

Is there software available where you can open a raw file, tweak it ,save it,and then print it all in Raw.:?
No, you'll need to save it in a different format. RAW is proprietary to a manufacturer and is unprocessed data from the sensor. You'll need to convert the .crw file into a usable format for printing or display.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 12:07 AM   #3

I would suggest not converting it to jpg, but instead converting it to tiff. That will support 16-but images, which can be helpful for somethings in photoshop 7 (many things don't support it, though.)

And I second what JimC said about why to use RAW.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 3:07 PM   #4

~ After processing the RAW file I save it to TIFF. Be aware that the TIFF will be a big file. While it's a TIFF I do the major editing. The TIFF has more "room" to work with without affecting the quality as opposed to a JPEG. After I am done there I save it to a JPEG. See the link below for way more information on RAW.~

8)

www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/u-raw-files.shtml
PhillyPhotographer is offline   Reply With Quote