Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 20, 2004, 11:29 AM   #1

Hi there

I am new to digital photo and my experince is small little PS cameras. However, though it is so much fun I can now really feel the limits with PS's. Since there seem to be so many people here to give great advice I will be looking fwd to feedback. It seems like every camera shop I go to they give you almost the same advice ( Stockholm, Sweden), "Get Nikon D70 or Canon 20D".

I do not own any lenses.
I am travelling alot so I have been looking at the Pentax ist DS?
If you want to print A3 is 6-megapixels enough (but maybe not all the time)?

Thanks
Jonas
Jonas-ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2004, 11:42 AM   #2

I can't compare the DSLRs you mention, but you might read through the reviews.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
http://dpreview.com/ (on the left under "Cameras")
http://www.imaging-resource.com/MFR1.HTM
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php
http://www.megapixel.net/html/issueindex.php?lang=en

A 6Mp camera will make a very nice A3 print. You get some deterioration with cropping as 6Mp is on the cusp of best reproduction at that size. More pixels would be only very slightly better either printed professionally or with a current state of the art photo printer.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 3:11 PM   #3

I've done a ton of research and went with teh D70 and am VERy happy. The D70 is the best camera made under $4000.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 3:33 PM   #4

Thanks Slipe. Thats good input. I will do just fine with a 6 megapixel camera
Grinder I might go with the D70. Thanks to you both

Jonas

Old Dec 21, 2004, 5:32 PM   #5

Grinder is trying to start a fight :-)

Merry Christmas
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:32 PM   #6

If you own no lenses and have not bought in to any system yet, give the Konica Minolta Dynax7D/Maxxum7D as serious look.

It is a 6mp camera, I think its biggestfeature among many others are image stabilization built right into the body, so every lens you use is Image Stabilized.

:cart:Wipes the aging technology in the D70 off the map. :blah:and for a lot less than 4000$ which is enough to get a Nikon d1x or 2 d2h's (professional grade bodies) if you really wanted them.:-)

:ak47:Shhhh, be veeeerry veeeerrry quiet we aare hunting Sandy Clawses.

Merry Christmas.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:11 PM   #7

Quote:
aging technology in the D70 off the map.
I really hate to say it but Digital camera's are now like computers. Every 8 months there will be a new generation out with new gadgets and you will never catch up.

However - Nikon still makes the best optics in the world and while there will be camera's with new and fun things - it all boils down to the picture, and that, is why Nikon is the king.

You buy Nikon camera's because THEN you can buy the best optics in the world.

Wildman - just stating my opinion - does not mean I'm right!

(said from a former Pentax owner)
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:45 PM   #8

Jonas-ji, since you are looking for a first digicam, and are thinking of an SLR, I'd suggest two things:

1) Look at the prices of lenses.

2) Think about getting a $2-300 pocket sized digicam. You can find decent 3-4Mpixel point-and-shoot cameras for that price. Spend a bit of time with the little camera and learn how to use a photo editor while you look at the prices of lenses and think about which one(s) you want with the DSLR. You are likely to have a use for the pocket camera when you don't want to lug the big unit about.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:50 PM   #9

If you want top optics go with Leica.

Most manufacturers including your fabled Nikon now outsource their low end and prosumer lens manufacturing. Nikon optics are very good, they are no where near the best.

As for the hardware it is worse than that, if you can buy it in the store it is already obsolete. :whack:

(said from a current Nikon(digital), Canon(film & digital), Yashika(film), Fuji(digital), and Bronica(film) owner)

See BillDrew's post above he speaks great wisdom. :-)
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 1:31 PM   #10

BillDrew, I understand what you mean. I understand that the optics is very important but it is also very expensive. I will never be able to afford the "really" good optics anyway but it seems that it even differs among budget optics between manufacters, both in price and quality :O Is that so? I know I can get Tamron and Sigma lenses cheaper than lenses by certain camera manufactures but is there quality as good as the low end Nikorr or Canon lenses.I have spend some time with film SLR's so I feel that DSLR best fits my need right now but I am not willing to pay more than 900 -1200 US dollars for a body.

I also agree with PeterP and Grinder. I do not want to look for a new camera in a year or two. I used to love to shoot with the Olympus OM 1 and OM2. If I can find a DSLR like that I would be more than satisfied.
:-)
Jonas